Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Shaun Wilde <sh...@hotmail.com> on 2011/05/23 12:54:28 UTC

Using Thrift on Windows

Hi
I am looking at using thrift on an opensource project to replace the current WCF/WWSAPI mechanism. However before I invest significant effort into getting it all to compile using tools I have not used before, I'd like to know whether you, the community, think it is possible.
Opencover is a .NET codecoverage tool that will need a C++ client (32 and 64 bit) to communicate with a C# server to deliver its results.
Will thrift be able to meet my needs?
I have downloaded the thrift compiler but there appears to be no other binaries (I assume I will have to build them). Does thrift support compilation on windows and does it support 32 and 64 bit?
Is it possible to build thrift without mingw/cygwin? I see a couple of patches that seem to indicate that it may be possible; should I apply them against the svn head or will they work over the tarball I have downloaded?
I'd rather not have to download load of utilities and tools unnecessarily only to find what I want to do is not possible.
Has anyone done this and are prepared to share the binaries? I am confused as to why the compiler is downloadable (and runs) but nothing else.
Any help appreciated.
Shaun

RE: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Shaun Wilde <sh...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Vinod
I have the windows exe that can be used to make the stubs from the .thrift files and I can build the csharp assembly.
My problem is with the cpp stuff for windows, I am assuming that there is a library(static?)that I need to link to from my application (actually a COM object) and due to the requirements of .NET on 32 and 64 bit platforms I need to make 32 and 64 bit versions of that library to linkin with the 32/64 bit version of the COM object.
Will I be able to compile windows compatible libraries in both 32 and 64 bit using cygwin?
Shaun

Re: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Vinod Gupta Tankala <tv...@socialyantra.com>.

Re: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Rush Manbert <ru...@manbert.com>.
Hi Shaun,

I assume that one of the patches you refer to is mine (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-591).

The good:
* Totally VS2005 compatible. Can be used with VS2008 if you let it convert the projects.
* No cygwin stuff required
* Very reliable if you get my follow on bug fix patches (we have used it since I submitted it)
* You can build 32 and 64 bit libraries from it. We do.
* No GPL or LGPL licensing. Safe for commercial use.

The bad:
* It applies to a down rev source checkout. Pre 1.0.
* It requires the boost libraries at minimum. (Only 3 of them, but it's not trivial to get and build them.) If you want to use header-only ASIO, then you need to get that. If you want to use the compressed protocols, then you need zlib.
* We added 64 bit configure support locally. It was not part of the original patch. That involved changing configure.js, and also all of the VS project and solution files. I could certainly send you the modified configure.js. The projects are a little harder...
* I don't think this patch will ever be committed to the trunk.

You're probably better off figuring out how to build with cygwin, but I honestly can't tell you anything about the compatibility issues there.

- Rush

RE: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Anait Markosian <am...@lyris.com>.
Yes, Shaun, you have to do some tweeks to make cygwin work, but it is definitely possible.
I personally found some helpful hints here: http://www.thrift.pl/Thrift-tutorial-installation.html  - try it out!
If you get errors from .configure, maybe you need to re-build it (the stepps are described at the link above)

RE: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Shaun Wilde <sh...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Anait

RE: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Shaun Wilde <sh...@hotmail.com>.
COM is used to communicate to the profiler from the >NET runtime (I cannot change this interface as I am only a subscriber)
I then need to communicate data from the COM object to a 3rd party i.e. a .NET application - I have been using WCF and WWSAPI, but WWSAPI is not XP compatible, I am therefore looking for a similar RPC mechanism.

Shaun

RE: Using Thrift on Windows

Posted by Shaun Wilde <sh...@hotmail.com>.

RE: Using Thrift on Windows