Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nicholas Ding <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/11 15:02:32 UTC

Boost maximum match in a field

Hello,

I was wondering how to boost a maximum match in a field. For example, you
have few documents has different length of title.

Doc 1:
Title: Ford Car Body Parts

Doc 2:
Title: 2012 Ford Car

Doc 3:
Title: Ford Car

If user searching for "Ford Car", how to make the Doc 3 has the highest
score?

Thanks
Nicholas

Re: Boost maximum match in a field

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
The length normalization "factor" is a very coarse value, so it may not be
fine-grained enough to distinguish these particular field lengths. Normally,
it is a short vs. long distinction rather than actual length.

In any case, add &debugQuery=true to your query and look at the "explain"
section see how "norm" is either different or the same for these three
documents in the results. The norm may in fact be fine, but maybe some other
factors overwhelm the overall score.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.