Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rodion Efremov <ro...@cs.helsinki.fi> on 2013/05/16 15:07:37 UTC

[Graph] On activity of Sandbox Graph

Hello all.

Have attached the patch containing bidirectional Dijkstra SSSP algo +
tests at org.apache.commons.graph.shortestpath (issue SANDBOX-457) in
hope someone will review it. The benchmark is telling:
   applyingDijkstra():              time.warmup: 0.30, time.bench: 1.09
   applyingBidirectionalDijkstra(): time.warmup: 0.01, time.bench: 0.04
both on the same connected graph and identical sequences of <source,
target> -pairs.

Couple of questions:
(a) What is the average duration between sending a patch P and getting
it reviewed by a committer, assuming P will draw some attention
eventually?
(b) Is it possible that a patch to a Sandbox component will be ignored
for a very looong time in favor of more important issues going on in
*Commons Proper*?

-rodde

Re: [Graph] On activity of Sandbox Graph

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Rodde,

thanks a lot for contributing to commons-graph, muh more than
appreciated! See replies inline:

> (a) What is the average duration between sending a patch P and getting it
> reviewed by a committer, assuming P will draw some attention eventually?

generally speaking, there is no such average time - projects hosted at
ASF are maintained by volunteers and all depends by the spare time
maintainers can dedicate to the component. A ping, like you sent, is
usually helpful to get attention from maintainers, I'll try to have a
look at your patch during the WE :)

> (b) Is it possible that a patch to a Sandbox component will be ignored for a
> very looong time in favor of more important issues going on in *Commons
> Proper*?

There's no strict relation between sandbox and proper components: not
everybody here is involved in all components development and, being
components maintained by volunteers, they have the freedom to decide
where they can put their effort.

HTH, I hope to get some cycle to review SANDBOX-457 ASAP.

All the best,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [Graph] On activity of Sandbox Graph

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi again Rodion,

I had a look at your patch at is simply *amazing* I have no words to
say thank you for that great contribution! :)
I just attached 2 observations to the issue, if you could re-submit
the patch applying that 2 small request, it would be great.

I really hope you'll continue get involved in commons-graph!!!
All the best,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi