Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/26 17:25:11 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.23

I downloaded and installed Tomcat 5.5.23 using the binary distribution in
windowsXp. The problem is the information in the Documentation that came
with the installation and what is in the installation is different. The
documentation says there are files in the bin as startup.bat,
shutdown.bat and number of other files but the bin doesn't contain any
of them ,the files
in the bin folder are bootstrap, commons-logging-api, tomcat5, tomcat5w,
tomcat-juli.
 My Question is
              Is there a particular specific documentation for Tomcat
5.5.23 and Is it possible to start and stop Tomcat 5.5.23 from the command
line If it is possible what is the way to do it?
   Thanks Varuna

--
Varuna Seneviratna
No 514 Udumulla Road

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
:-D ... I believe it's a joke.

--David

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, it was a joke (or maybe not).

This problem has come up many many many times on this mailing list.
People have asked for those useful files to be included in the .exe
download. I haven't heard of a reason why it would be difficult to do
so. Yet, the issue has persisted for years. I tried to think of a
reason why, and that's the only thing I could think of.
--
Len

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com>.
I can't understand what Len is trying to say what is meant by minimum level
of traffic on this mailing list How is it related to the Tomcat distribution

On 7/26/07, Len Popp <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/07, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
> > For some obscure
> > reason, whoever packages Tomcat chose to leave out the very useful
> > scripts from the .exe installer.
>
> The reason is quite simple. It's to guarantee a minimum level of
> traffic on this mailing list. Concerns about utility and frustration
> are secondary.
> --
> Len

Varuna Seneviratna
No 514 Udumulla Road
Battaramulla
Sri Lanka
Tel : 011-2888620

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Varuna Seneviratna [mailto:varunaseneviratna@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5.23
>
> The documentation says there are files in the bin as startup.bat,
> shutdown.bat and number of other files but the bin doesn't contain any
> of them

Grab the .zip download rather than the .exe one.  For some obscure
reason, whoever packages Tomcat chose to leave out the very useful
scripts from the .exe installer.  Note that you can still install Tomcat
as a service with the .zip version.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.