Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> on 2012/02/10 19:53:18 UTC

ant test results in versioned files being modified?

I'm running ant test from the top level and these files are always modified:

solr/contrib/dataimporthandler-extras/src/test-files/dihextras/solr/conf/dataimport.properties
solr/contrib/dataimporthandler/src/test-files/dih/solr/conf/dataimport.properties

Shouldn't be the case, right?

Dawid

Re: ant test results in versioned files being modified?

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
> I don't know enough of Solr to tell if this can cause conflicts and if
> this should be somehow copied to scratch area by the test itself
> (perhaps).

me neither, but eventually no good will come from different tests
reading/writing to the same files simultaneously... probably sporatic,
hard to reproduce test failures and the like.

> I don't know how to fix it, but I know how to bury under the rug ;)

Well, i think its fine to svn:ignore/.gitignore as long as we have a
jira issue open for these files, so that its not totally buried.

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: ant test results in versioned files being modified?

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Dawid Weiss
<da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>> See also the phantastic comment/TODO when you run "ant clean" in Solr...
>
> Yeah... I looked at that briefly yesterday. Seems like there should be
> no harm if tests.userdir is copied (or even better - synced?
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/sync.html) to some temporary
> scratch area instead of using the source location. Then temporary
> files wouldn't be a problem anymore?

I disagree: there are reasons why each jvm gets its own temporary directory.

when tests are creating files in the source tree, its only a matter of
time before two tests try to access the same file and then interfere

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
> See also the phantastic comment/TODO when you run "ant clean" in Solr...

Yeah... I looked at that briefly yesterday. Seems like there should be
no harm if tests.userdir is copied (or even better - synced?
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/sync.html) to some temporary
scratch area instead of using the source location. Then temporary
files wouldn't be a problem anymore?

Alternatively there should be an easier way to keep .(git|hg)ignore in
sync with svn:ignore. I wrote a bash script that extracted every
svn:ignore from subfolders; I'm sure it could be used to populate
.gitignore semi-automatically.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
See also the phantastic comment/TODO when you run "ant clean" in Solr...

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen