Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/05/06 14:40:59 UTC

Re: Hong Kong Distributor (Free Software-Free CD-ROM)

info@softwaredistributor.info wrote:
> Re:Hong Kong Distributor (Free Software-Free CD-ROM)
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html
> Please Change my website URL from
> http://www.networkowned.com (Domain illegally transferred to other account)
> http://www.softwaredistributor.info

(You wrote to two public mailing lists: see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-users/
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-marketing/ )

OK, we have two issues here.

The first one is to remove the existing link for Hong Kong, which points
to a patently unrelated site (first external link above). This is now
solved at http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html

The second one would be to add the new "community distributor", i.e.,
your last URL above. But this site has some stuff that can keep
Trademarks (in CC) busy for a while (examples: logo of Apache OpenOffice
3.4 while actually distributing version 3.3, some quite unrelated links
at the bottom of page, trademarks not acknowledged) and we might want to
deeply restructure the
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html
page a few weeks after version 3.4 is released. So I don't feel
confident in adding the link before we hear from Trademarks that it is
OK to do so.

A lot of other sites already listed at
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html
have the same issue.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Application For Community Distributor

Posted by in...@softwaredistributor.info.
Hello,

Re:Application For Community Distributor(Apache OpenOffice 3.4)

website URL:
http://www.softwaredistributor.info

Please add my website in your CD-Rom Buyers' page

CD-ROM Distributors
http://ooo-site.apache.org/distribution/cdrom/index.html

Distributors Name:
Software Distributor

Location :
Hong Kong

Software:
All platforms,languages:English(US),Simplified Chinese,and Traditional
Chinese, shipping worldwide.(Current Stable Release)

website URL:
http://www.softwaredistributor.info

Contact:
info@softwaredistributor.info

Regards
Benjamin

RE: Hong Kong Distributor (Free Software-Free CD-ROM)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
There was an indiscriminate posting of an e-mail from info@ softwaredistributor.info to multiple lists.  The post wasn't moderated onto this list.  But anyone subscribed to this list who "Replied All ..." to its appearance on another list would have cross-posted here too.

The easiest place to see the thread is on the ooo-marketing list at < http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-marketing/201205.mbox/date>.

Basically, a distributor of OO.o on CD-ROM wants to have their listing changed on an old OpenOffice.org page that lists such distributors.

This was solved by Andrea removing the listing entirely.  I say that's appropriate.

How to clean up the distribution of CD-ROMs and vet the list is being discussed on the ooo-dev@ list [;<).

It would be useful to know what users think about CD-ROM distributions too.

 - Dennis

MORE THOUGHTS

My personal concern is that there are difficulties knowing the authenticity and integrity of such materials when provided by third parties.  These days, that can expose users to malware and more-serious exploits.

One thought would be for CD-ROM ISO images to be available from the project or some other single, highly-reliable source.  Those could be recorded and redistributed by anyone so long as there is appropriate identification of their origin and how to verify that.  There would need to be authentication and integrity measures on those CDs so folks could detect whether they have a legitimate one, especially when troubleshooting and reporting problems.

Others will still do their own CD-ROM packaging; it is completely permissible under open-source distribution conditions.  There is nothing to be done about who assures the authenticity of those independent distributions and who stands up to support them (or not).  I don't think Apache OpenOffice should be in the business of linking to such producers and it would be nice if those distributions included how the producer will provide first-line support.

That's my personal perspective.  This is probably more-appropriate on ooo-dev, but I thought power users here might have an interest also.

What IS this email about? It makes no sense.

Take Care.
Scooter
College Park, MD USA

Posted by Scooter C <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.