Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/09 17:26:53 UTC

RE: NNTP : cannot download postings

Harmeet,

I am *still* waiting to see these patches you keep talking about.  I have
patches that were submitted last year, and they were posted to the group for
review.  You asked me to postpone committing them, without indicating what
issue, if any, you have with them.  Where are yours, if they are different?

Why are you proposing to have the patches in the CVS by the weekend when you
haven't posted them for review?

	--- Noel

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Noel, if you have the patches and feel I am blocking you, go ahead I can
work on top of the patches if there is any need to. Test it and checkin if
you can't wait.

Hope that sounds ok.
Harmeet

RE: NNTP : cannot download postings

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Thanks for the update Harmeet.  I agree it's good to get testing setup
> first before getting into fixing the NNTP server code.

I'm very much looking forward to Harmeet's tests.

> And like you said, Noel if you want to get something patched sooner
> rather than wait for Harmeet's work, go ahead.

Patches are posted for review, and I just posted a Nightly build to get user
feedback.

	--- Noel

Re: NNTP : cannot download postings

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

RE: NNTP : cannot download postings

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I have told that I want regression tests first and then patch.

Fine.  Then if you don't have any patches to conflict with the ones that I
have, we might as well start with them.  At least I won't be stepping on any
code you haven't already written.  If you had written some there would be no
reason not to allow people to review thme so far.

> why can't you wait rather than badger away ?

I'm not badgering you.  You had previously said that you already had some
patches, but wanted to test first.  If what you really have so far are just
the tests, that's great.  Please run them against the new patches I've
submitted.  I am sure that there are yet more bugs to fix, since I've just
documented several.

> I am obviously unhappy that the quality of NNTP has degraded.

As far as I can see from the CVS, the defects that I just patched have been
there since before.  Regardless, I've checked them against the RFC, as can
you from the descriptions I've posted.

> How do you expect to have the collection of entire set of patches that
> address various clients without sufficient tests.

I don't.  But I know that what I just did corrects real verifiable defects,
and that I can now work with OE and Netscape news against my test server.
So there is no reason not to fix what we can easily see as being wrong,
while still waiting for the test suite that we agree is vital.

I appreciate your time constraints.  We all have them.  But what I've just
posted should not in any way negatively impact either the code or future
changes.  No restructuring.  Just some very simple in-line patches.

If no one objects to them specifically, I'd like to commit them tomorrow as
a starting point.

	--- Noel

Re: NNTP : cannot download postings

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.