Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com> on 2013/02/28 23:45:40 UTC

[FalconJx] Refactoring packages

Erik,

I was wondering if we could agree, that before we move packages around
that we could have a discussion first about the implications? I almost
had a heart attack looking at the last svn update log. I seriously
don't want to veto any commits but the farther we go with the
development of the core visitor framework, the more code that is being
built on it, specifically a couple projects of mine.

Major refactors can be very disruptive.

What is your strategy with MXML? Your implementation of vanilla, your
are creating instances with the 'new' operator?

Are you planning on implementing Alex's data structures?

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [FalconJx] Refactoring packages

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>:

> Mike,
>
>> I got a snow ball full of ice hitting my face directly. If we would have
>> talked a bit first at least I could have ducked (prepared to refactor my
>
> Yes, mea culpa on the communication.
>
>> My project is kind of NDA at the moment but completely uses the compiler.jx
>> platform. This is what I have been talking about "I am working on other
>> projects". I actually mean, I am working on other projects that plug into
>> THIS framework.
>
> As a mental exercise, purely out of curiosity - as I just promised "it
> won't happen again" - would you try to veto changes to an Apache Flex
> project when those changes negatively affect a private, non-open
> source project?

No, I would not, I am sending an email right now that would explain a
veto on this commit. I would never veto something based on something
you couldn't see. BTW what I am working on WILL be 100% open source
when it is released...

> In light of our newly re-found communication (:-)), which parts of
> this framework do your private projects rely on? Can I hack away at
> the MXML stuff without bothering you too much? And, maybe more
> importantly, will you be donating improvements you make to your local
> copy of the framework back to Apache and if so, how might those
> improvements influence the code that's based upon the current version
> of the framework?

Erik, this had nothing to do with my project It had to do with I
disagreed with your changes(some of them). Having an external project
that uses the framework amplified my reason for disagreement, but I
still would have disagreed without that project.

There is no local copy! The framework is solid man, I am up to date on
all my commits with falcon.jx. I am not developing anything in secret
regarding the actual falcon.jx project.

>> BTW, did you mean to commit the SWC in the repository?
>
> I meant to commit all the FlexJS files and dependencies for the
> moment, until I have broken it down into their separate pieces and
> written test for all of them. I didn't however realize that the swc
> was a binary, thanks for pointing that out. I'll remove it from the
> repo on my next commit.
>
> Now, moving forward: I'll be doing a lot of work on any file that has
> MXML in it's name. Do you foresee any problems with that? I might also
> need to make minor modifications to some of the supporting files. When
> do you consider a change worthy of discussion?

No, go for it, see above, I have no "hidden" branch of falcon.jx.

Mike

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Mike,

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
To me, your emotions show your involvement and commitment to the project.
Nobody can work together in perfect harmony all the time :-)
Just important that nobody draws conclusions in emotional times.

Fréderic Cox

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Erik,

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Hi,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] Refactoring packages

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
But I'm glad I wasted 2+ hours of my night on commit and review with a
project that is still trying to get off the ground.

I have to be honest, this won't happen to much with me. Dealing with a
project like falconjx with A LOT of moving parts, I cannot work like
this.

Mike

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Also,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
I want 1451312 reverted

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/28/13 3:54 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:

> Quoting Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>:
>

>> On 2/28/13 3:38 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok,
>>>
>>> Going to reply again.
>>>
>>> It just keeps getting better as I look. You know I understand this is
>>> a Apache but, if you can just go into this code and just change crap
>>> like you did without at least talking on list first, I'm just going to
>>> fork my code on GIT and leave Apache.
>> Then veto the commit and Erik will revert.  That is also Apache, IMO.
>> Instead of waiting for you to respond to a pre-check-in discussion, it can
>> be more efficient to check in code because then there is no confusion of
>> words describing what changed, you can see the code changes.
>
> I understand this but, I was under the impression that Erik and I were
> working together(team) and he should know I watch my mail everyday,
> this is what partnership is.
There have been plenty of times I thought I was doing something that would
help everybody and was wrong.  These kinds of things happen.

> If I have overreacted its because I thought Erik and I had an "understanding".
>
> Well I would like a revert, I want to talk about these changes first.
Grab the commit email and reply with a -1 and a technical reason why.
Package names are a bit subjective.  Breaking a big check-in you are
planning is legitimate.

> I will not take back anything I have said, I seriously felt weird
> about this commit. I have tried to offer this project as much optimism
> as possible, I do not want to look like someone that is trying to
> control something either, it's the communication about "refactoring"
> that I am upset about.
No need to take anything back.  We'll all get mad at each other at some
point.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [FalconJx] Refactoring packages

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Ok,

Going to reply again.

It just keeps getting better as I look. You know I understand this is
a Apache but, if you can just go into this code and just change crap
like you did without at least talking on list first, I'm just going to
fork my code on GIT and leave Apache.

This is crap Erik, yeah I'm upset. The amount of changes you made
without consulting the "list" is not the way I would do it. Adding
stuff is different, but when you just go in and completely refactor
MAJOR stuff it makes me feel like I'm just this guy that is invisible
to you.

Sorry about this attitude but I have one right now. I would never have
done this to community code without talking about it first but, that
is just me.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.