Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2012/03/02 05:01:36 UTC

AOO Logo for FreeBSD

I am giving a thought on a new logo for use with FreeBSD's
port. Here is a WIP:

http://people.apache.org/~pfg/images/ApacheOO-BSD.png

The idea is to use a modern logo and give a little more strength
to the fact that we are using the new license. It would also be
good to use the concept of a feather like the classic pen but
that's a little tough at this time. I also kept the small BSD
daemon separated on purpose so that there is no
confusion.

All the fonts used are under AL2 (droid), no daemons or any
form of dead or undead creatures were harmed during the
making of this logo.

Opinions?

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: AOO Logo for FreeBSD

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Shane;

On 03/04/12 09:53, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Is there a particular reason you're using a different font and layout
> than the normal AOO logo?  Has the FreeBSD port usually had a very
> different logo than past OOO builds?

Mainly because I don't like the normal AOO logo and I wanted to try
something different. Also it's sort of cool to use a font that is also
under AL2.

We had never used a customized logo but that was mainly because
no one got to do it. I personally don't spend time on copylefted code
and I wouldn't have felt any motivation to do anything like this for the
previous OOo (or for LO).

> I really like the license underneath, and the small daemon on the
> corner, almost as if he's looking in to seeing what's happening here.
> That's a great combination.
>
> - Shane
>
> P.S. Personally, I don't like the font: too heavy and mushy looking,
> especially (I bet) at smaller resolutions - but you really don't need
> to listen to me on that kind of issue, since you're doing the work!
> Thanks!

Welcome :). I had already did some minor modifications to the license
font but for the time being the idea is to use this as a replacement for
intro.png, (that and about.png can be specified with "configure").

I am not yet considering this for smaller images.

Thanks for the feedback!

Pedro.

Re: AOO Logo for FreeBSD

Re: AOO Logo for FreeBSD

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hello Maho;

On 03/02/12 02:18, Maho NAKATA wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> Looks good, However,
>
>> that's a little tough at this time. I also kept the small BSD
>> daemon separated on purpose so that there is no
> for the BSD daemon picture, we need explict permission from Kirk McKusick.
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

I suspect he will authorize it since he provided the image I
used ;-).

I think it will also be good to have the PPMC OK it but I still have
a couple of changes to make and I have to verify how it looks
in the software.

The one big question is whether I have to include copyright
notices and what is the minimal they should say.

Pedro.

Re: AOO Logo for FreeBSD

Posted by Maho NAKATA <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Pedro,

Looks good, However,

> that's a little tough at this time. I also kept the small BSD
> daemon separated on purpose so that there is no

for the BSD daemon picture, we need explict permission from Kirk McKusick.
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

> BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Permission to use the daemon may be obtained from:
>
>     Marshall Kirk McKusick
>     1614 Oxford St
>     Berkeley, CA 94709-1608
>     USA