Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Myles Moutoux <mm...@tampabay.rr.com> on 2004/04/05 16:42:18 UTC

Apache 2 Tomcat 5 connector location and configuration

I have been using both Tomcat and Apache for a couple of year now and
finding and configuring the connector continues to be the most
frustrating  thing that I have ever encountered. I am running Apache
2.0.49 and Tomcat 5.0.19 on a Suse 8.0 server. I have both Apache and
Tomcat working independently and have reached this point without any
problem. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to connect the two together.
Initially, I intended to install the binary version of the JK2 connect.
Unfortunately, the only connectors that seem to be available are for
Fedora, Suse 9, and Suse PPC. Does anyone know where the connectors for
other linux platforms are located? Does anyone have a functional
configuration that I could use as an example. I've looked at the John
Turner howto and unfortunately he hasn't look at tomcat 5 yet.

Maybe one of these days the apache and tomcat developers will begin
communicating with each other on a regular basis and develop an easy to
install and configure connector that is always up to date with the
current releases. One can only hope.

Re: Apache 2 Tomcat 5 connector location and configuration

Posted by Paul Mansfield <pa...@psineteurope.com>.
On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 16:08, Myles Moutoux wrote:
> I have checked the archives and there is nothing for tomcat 5, which is
> supposed to be the newest release. I have also seen quite a few of the

I agree that tomcat5 + mod_jk2 documentation is very lacking, yes,
there's discussions on the mailing lists etc, but surely it should be
prominent on the tomcat site itself?
It was my biggest pain to get going too. I tried to rely on the official
jakarta.apache.org website and of course drew mostly blank.

Anyway, I found the following doco which helped a lot, altho' it talks
about freebsd the info is still useful

http://www.thinlizard.com/lizard/modjk2.html

then
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Tomcat

Re: Apache 2 Tomcat 5 connector location and configuration

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:08:26AM -0400, Myles Moutoux wrote:
: I have checked the archives and there is nothing for tomcat 5, which is
: supposed to be the newest release. I have also seen quite a few of the
: post, but, again they all refer to prior versions and I've tried using
: the MOD_JK.so from tomcat 4.x and it doesn't seem to have the proper
: linkages for Apache 2.0.49. It errors out when you try to load it thru
: the config file.

What about this?

	"Tomcat 5 on Linux Step-By-Step"
	http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat5/c831.html

The compilation instructions are for RH9 but my guess it should be
the same once the prerequisite packages are installed...

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: Apache 2 Tomcat 5 connector location and configuration

Posted by Myles Moutoux <mm...@tampabay.rr.com>.

Posted by kwilding <kw...@essex.ac.uk>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/release/v1.2.0
/src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.0-src.tar.gz

- untar it

- go to jk/native directory

- use configure :

   ./configure --with-apxs=/your/path/to/apache2/apxs

- make the stuff

   make

- copy the mod_jk.so to apache 2 module dir

   cp apache-2.0/mod_jk.so /your/path/to/apache2/modules

-  Put in httpd.conf

   LoadModule jk_module /your/path/to/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so
   JkWorkersFile /your/path/to/apache2/conf/workers.properties
   JkLogFile     /your/path/to/apache2/logs/mod_jk.log
   JkLogLevel    error

   JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
   JkMount /servlet/*.jsp ajp13

   JkMount /examples/*.jsp ajp13
   JkMount /examples/servlet/*.jsp ajp13

I think this was the version that worked for me using apache2.0.48 and
tomcat4 and/or tomcat5
Hope this helps.
Kevan