Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2016/07/03 21:21:49 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release

On 06/29/2016 12:14 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:
> Le 29/06/16 � 00:20, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is a vote on a new Studio release.
>
> Testing it atm. A few remarks :
>
> * on Mac OSX, there is an issue with the JVM. Since Apple totally fucked
> up and decided to not provide anymore a JVM, we have an issue when
> starting Studio. We get a message like "The JVM shared library does not
> contain the JNI_CreateJavaVM symbol". This can be fixed by tuning the
> ApacheDirectoryStudio.app/Contents/Info.plist file, like :
>
>     <array>
>       <!-- to use a specific Java version (instead of the platform's
> default) uncomment one of the following options,
>                                         or add a VM found via
> $/usr/libexec/java_home -V
>         <string>-vm</string>
>
> <string>/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Commands/java</string>
>
>       -->
>       <!-- The following line has been uncomented and the path to the
> existing JVM added -->
>       <string>-vm</string>
>
> <string>/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java</string>
>       <string>-keyring</string>
>       <string>~/.eclipse_keyring</string>
>       <string>-showlocation</string>
>     </array>
>
> This is obviously a real pain in the neck. I think we can get it fixed
> but I don't see how. As soon as we have installers, plus a part in teh
> README telling users how to build the installers, we can simply ignore
> this issue (but it should be documented in teh README and on the web site)

I remember the problems on Mac. The FAQ site has a hint how to find the
JDK path and how to add it to ApacheDirectoryStudio.ini (which seems to
be easier than editing Info.plist). I think it makes sense to put that
information to the Mac download page too.

https://directory.apache.org/studio/faqs.html#how-to-set-the-java-vm-to-use

> * The place where the produced packages are put is not correct :
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/studio/2.0.0.v20160628-M11/2.0.0.v20160628-M11/
> instead of
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/studio/2.0.0.v20160628-M11/.
> Not such a big deal, it can be fixed for the next build.

Ok, that is easy to fix

> * We don't have the installers to test. Packages for all the platforms
> we suport should be created (.dmg, .deb, .exe, .rpm). I have created the
> DMG following the README in the /tools/Mac OS X DMG/README doco, I think
> creating all the other installers should be part of the release being
> voted. Note that the installer works well, and teh version it installs
> doe snot have teh same problem I faced upper.

We have issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1022, but
to be honest I'm not very motivated to generate the installers.

* I'm not sure if generation of .dmg works well on Linux
* Generating .dmg, .deb, .rpm, .exe requries native tools
* It costs time to create an maintain those installer scripts. Should we
reuse installers-maven-plugin from ApacheDS?
* The additional .deb and .exe (32 bit and 64 bit) increase the release
by another 480 MB
* The installers need to be tested (in theory .deb and .rpm can be
automated...)

The Tycho build now nicely generates zip/tgz for Linux/Mac/Windows out
of the box on all platforms. I think our users don't need installers but
can unpack a zip/tgz.

> * The copyright licence on the logo is from 2006-2015. It should be 2016.
>
> * The Notice.txt file has an outdated header too : "Apache Directory
> Studio Copyright 2007-2014 The Apache Software Foundation"
>
> * The LICENSE.txt file needs a serious review :
> - there are mixed license between nlog4j and slf4j :
>
> "Apache Directory Studio bundles a copy of SLF4J API Module, which is
> distributed under the
> following license:
>     NLOG4J License
>
> Copyright (c) 2004-2006 SLF4J.ORG
> Copyright (c) 2004-2006 QOS.ch
>
> "
>
> - we should include the license for slf4j
> (http://www.slf4j.org/license.html).

I see. I updated the legal files for Fortress and Kerby but was too lazy
to check them in Studio, I'll update them.

Thanks Emmanuel for the review and finding all the issues.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release

Posted by lu...@gmail.com.
As a occasional user of Apache Directory Studio, using almost exclusively
MacOS, I haven't been able to use the latest built. The lack of installer
and the default zip not working are definitely blockers for me. As a
result, I haven't been able to verify that it works properly out of the box
with the OpenDJ directory server.

My 2 cents,

Ludo

--
Ludovic Poitou
http://ludopoitou.com

From: Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> <el...@gmail.com>
Reply: Apache Directory Developers List <de...@directory.apache.org>
<de...@directory.apache.org>
Date: 3 July 2016 at 23:58:16
To: Apache Directory Developers List <de...@directory.apache.org>
<de...@directory.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/07/16 � 19:37, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :
> On 07/17/2016 07:04 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:

>>> Yes, except update to ApacheDS 2.0.0-M23
>>>

>> hmmm, I'm following the dev-guide and after :
> Seems the dev-guide is not up-to-date. I only updated
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/trunk/README.md

Ah, that explains :-)

Ok, it works with what we have in the README;md. I will update the site.

Release in progress...

Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
FTR, I'm currently generating the installers.

I have the MacOSX working (if someone would like to test it, it's
available on
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/studio/2.0.0.v20160717-M11/),
I was able to generate the Windows installer, except that I wrongly used
a 32 bits version, so I need to repackage it (Thanks Kiran for having
tested it)

The real problem is that pushing those installer is quite slow and block
me from accessing to internet, being in the country side with a limited
internet bandwidth (in paris, I have fiber, which allows me to upload at
50Mb/s, compared to the 1Mb/s I can do here...). As each installer is
128Mb big, it takes around 30 mins per installer.

I'll push the remaining 3 installers in the next few days, then when
done, I'll push a vote.

Thanks !

Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 07/17/2016 07:04 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:
> Le 17/07/16 � 17:21, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :
>> On 07/17/2016 05:08 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:
>>> Le 17/07/16 � 16:26, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :

>>> Sure, will do that. Is everything committed ?
>>>
>> Yes, except update to ApacheDS 2.0.0-M23
>>

> hmmm, I'm following the dev-guide and after :

Seems the dev-guide is not up-to-date. I only updated
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/trunk/README.md

>     find . -name pom-first.xml | xargs sed -i '' s/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/$VERSION/
>     find . -name pom-first.xml | xargs sed -i '' s/2.0.0.qualifier/$VERSION/
Here a temporary change of main pom.xml is required...

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/07/16 � 17:21, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :
> On 07/17/2016 05:08 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:

>>> Regarding Mac: I was able to build the the Mac DMG installer on my Mac .
>>> That was pretty straight forward. When I "install" it by drag-n-drop to
>>> "Applications" folder the result in
>>> /Applications/ApacheDirectoryStudio.app is the same as if I just open
>>> the Zip and drag-n-drop the ApacheDirectoryStudio.app to Applications
>>> folder. Both variants work on my Macbook without the need to modify
>>> Info.plist or ApacheDirectoryStudio.ini. I don't understand how the
>>> installer makes the difference.
>>>

>>> Regarding Windows: I installed nsis 2.5.1, but when running the
>>> windows_installer.nsi I get error:
>>> !include: could not find: "AdvUninstLog.nsh"
>>> Error in script "windows_installer.nsi" on line 40 -- aborting creation
>>> process
>>>

>>> I have neither the time nor the patience to continue figuring out how
>>> build the installers. Probably it's best if you take over the release. I
>>> think 90% the release steps are documented in the readme, if you
>>> struggle I'm available to help.
>> Sure, will do that. Is everything committed ?
>>
> Yes, except update to ApacheDS 2.0.0-M23

hmmm, I'm following the dev-guide and after :

    find . -name pom-first.xml | xargs sed -i '' s/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/$VERSION/
    find . -name pom-first.xml | xargs sed -i '' s/2.0.0.qualifier/$VERSION/
    mvn -f pom-first.xml clean install

I get :

macbookpro-c8e0eb14fea3:branch-2.0.0.v20160717-M11 elecharny$ mvn -f
pom-first.xml clean install
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option
MaxPermSize=256M; support was removed in 8.0
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
Downloading:
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/studio/org.apache.directory.studio.parent/2.0.0.v20160717-M11/org.apache.directory.studio.parent-2.0.0.v20160717-M11.pom
[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:
[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for
org.apache.directory.studio:org.apache.directory.studio.setup-parent:[unknown-version]:
Could not find artifact
org.apache.directory.studio:org.apache.directory.studio.parent:pom:2.0.0.v20160717-M11
in central (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) and
'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 23, column 11
 @
[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project
org.apache.directory.studio:org.apache.directory.studio.setup-parent:[unknown-version]
(/Users/elecharny/apacheds/trunks/studio/release_dir/branch-2.0.0.v20160717-M11/pom-first.xml)
has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM for
org.apache.directory.studio:org.apache.directory.studio.setup-parent:[unknown-version]:
Could not find artifact
org.apache.directory.studio:org.apache.directory.studio.parent:pom:2.0.0.v20160717-M11
in central (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) and
'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 23, column 11 ->
[Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the
-e switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/ProjectBuildingException
[ERROR] [Help 2]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/UnresolvableModelException

Is there anything obvious I missed ?

Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 03/07/16 � 23:21, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :

>> * We don't have the installers to test. Packages for all the platforms
>> we suport should be created (.dmg, .deb, .exe, .rpm). I have created the
>> DMG following the README in the /tools/Mac OS X DMG/README doco, I think
>> creating all the other installers should be part of the release being
>> voted. Note that the installer works well, and teh version it installs
>> doe snot have teh same problem I faced upper.
> We have issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1022, but
> to be honest I'm not very motivated to generate the installers.
>
> * I'm not sure if generation of .dmg works well on Linux
They do work well.
> * Generating .dmg, .deb, .rpm, .exe requries native tools
Yes. I do have them.

> * It costs time to create an maintain those installer scripts. Should we
> reuse installers-maven-plugin from ApacheDS?
T einstallers are prettty basic.

> * The additional .deb and .exe (32 bit and 64 bit) increase the release
> by another 480 MB

true.