Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/05 02:32:13 UTC

Help on How To Test a Staged Release?

Is there a preferred way of testing a staged release?
Do I test both the staged plugin jar and the tagged code?
How do I avoid polluting my local repo with these staging plugins?
What do other committers do?
(I have the additional problem of being behind an NTLM proxy)

I can write up the response on the wiki for future reference.

I asked this question on the eclipse:2.4 release thread:
Barrie Treloar wrote:
> Apologies for the noob question, but how do I test the stage release?
> (I had a quick look at
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Development+Process and
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Development+Procedures but
> couldn't find it).
>
> Is it just a matter of defining
> http://people.apache.org/~brianf/staging-repository/ as a repo in
> settings.xml as:
>
>    <profile>
>      <id>staging</id>
>      <repositories>
>      <pluginRepositories>
>        <pluginRepository>
>          <id>staging</id>
>          <name>Maven Plugin Staging Repository</name>
>          <url>http://people.apache.org/~brianf/staging-repository/</url>
>          <releases>
>            <enabled>true</enabled>
>          </releases>
>          <snapshots>
>            <enabled>false</enabled>
>          </snapshots>
>        </pluginRepository>
>      </pluginRepositories>
>    </profile>

That would work fine to allow trialling the plugin against various
projects on the command line.

The other part of testing would be to check out the svn tag and verify
that it builds.

> What happens when the real thing is released? Will my local repo be
> polluted with the staging details and I need to clean it up?

If you don't build it yourself, and the staged version is released
unchanged, then that's mostly not a problem - though there'd be some
metadata xml files left over in the local repo.

If you do build it yourself, then you'd *hope* you'd have an exact
workalike to the release, but it won't be bytewise identical, so you
probably ought to call that pollution, and clean it up.

And of course, there's the possibility that this staging iteration
doesn't succeed, in which case, it's *definitely* pollution in the local
repo that needs to be cleaned up.

Re: Help on How To Test a Staged Release?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 7/4/07, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a preferred way of testing a staged release?
> Do I test both the staged plugin jar and the tagged code?
> How do I avoid polluting my local repo with these staging plugins?

You can use an alternate local repository a few ways:
 * -Dmaven.repo.local=/path/to/repo on the command line
 * editing your normal settings.xml
 * -s /path/to/alt-settings.xml (which has a different localRepository defined)

(I also have a "remote" repo on the filesystem containing things that
aren't in the central repo-- Sun jars, mostly.)

But I usually just use my normal local repo and then delete the
directory tree containing whatever I was testing.

--
Wendy

Re: Help on How To Test a Staged Release?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 7/5/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 4 Jul 07, at 5:32 PM 4 Jul 07, Barrie Treloar wrote:
>
> > Is there a preferred way of testing a staged release?
>
> Yes, the way that we had originally talked about for a staged release
> was providing a profile.xml that could be used in the project using
> the staged version of an artifact. So that's how you can use the new
> version without affecting your current POMs.
>
> The only way to prevent pollution of your existing repo would be to
> do something like:
>
> mvn -Dmaven.repo.local=/tmp/test-repo mvn install
>
> But depending on the project this may take a long time.
>
> We should really generate a profiles.xml file.

If you want to describe the steps, I can give it a go and write up the results.

Re: Help on How To Test a Staged Release?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
> [...]

> That would work fine to allow trialling the plugin against various
> projects on the command line.
>
> The other part of testing would be to check out the svn tag and verify
> that it builds.
>
>> What happens when the real thing is released? Will my local repo be
>> polluted with the staging details and I need to clean it up?
>
> If you don't build it yourself, and the staged version is released
> unchanged, then that's mostly not a problem - though there'd be some
> metadata xml files left over in the local repo.
>
> If you do build it yourself, then you'd *hope* you'd have an exact
> workalike to the release, but it won't be bytewise identical, so you
> probably ought to call that pollution, and clean it up.
>
> And of course, there's the possibility that this staging iteration
> doesn't succeed, in which case, it's *definitely* pollution in the

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

RE: Help on How To Test a Staged Release?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
You can do testing any way you want. If you are worried about polluting
your repo, then just delete the subfolder when you're done and let it
reresolve. There's nothing magical in the local repo (especially for
plugins).