Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/09/01 14:49:57 UTC

RFC6265 progress

As previously advertised, I've been working on a new RFC6265 cookie
parsing. The current status is as follows:
- parser is working for RFC6265 cookie headers
- RFC2109 parsing is still TODO
- new parser is driven by Context level config (no more system
  properties)
- currently between 1% and 3% slower
- code is easier to follow (more smaller methods)

There is some refactoring involved that I'll commit shortly. I'll also
commit as much of the parser as I can without changing the current
behaviour (even optionally). I'll commit the remaining code once I have
written the RFC2109 part of the parser.

It might be possible to squeeze a little more performance from the
parser but I think we are close to the point where further changes are
going to really impact readability of the code.

Mark

Re: RFC6265 progress

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> I was able to squeeze out a little more performance without impacting
> readability. The original and the new RFC6265 parser now have as near as
> makes no difference the same performance.
>
> Nice.

Rémy

Re: RFC6265 progress

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 01/09/2014 13:49, Mark Thomas wrote:
> As previously advertised, I've been working on a new RFC6265 cookie
> parsing. The current status is as follows:
> - parser is working for RFC6265 cookie headers
> - RFC2109 parsing is still TODO
> - new parser is driven by Context level config (no more system
>   properties)
> - currently between 1% and 3% slower
> - code is easier to follow (more smaller methods)
>
> There is some refactoring involved that I'll commit shortly. I'll also
> commit as much of the parser as I can without changing the current
> behaviour (even optionally). I'll commit the remaining code once I have
> written the RFC2109 part of the parser.

This is done - at least for an initial implementation. There are a
handful of TODOs in the code and I want to look at what i can do to
reduce the copy and paste in the RFC2109 parsing code.

> It might be possible to squeeze a little more performance from the
> parser but I think we are close to the point where further changes are
> going to really impact readability of the code.

I was able to squeeze out a little more performance without impacting
readability. The original and the new RFC6265 parser now have as near as
makes no difference the same performance.

Next steps are:
- addressing the TODOs
- adding lots more tests

Writing some unit tests to test edge cases (and almost certainly
demonstrate some bugs) in the Cookie parsing is one place where someone
new to Tomcat development and wanting to contribute could get started.

Mark