Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu> on 2019/04/24 14:56:30 UTC

Best Client / IDE

Hi,
I've noticed that "toad for Hadoop" used to be a thing, and that there are several ODBC and JDBC compatible clients.  I've checked out HIVE view (which is gone in the latest version of HDP), HUE, and SQUIRREL.  I've also tested setting up an ODBC connection to SQL Server management studio and a JDBC connection to Oracle SQL developer.

I guess I'm asking to do more of a survey to see where everyone else landed to determine the "best of breed" IDE.  I just don't really love anyone of those listed above and am looking for something next level.

Anyway, if you too are interested to know, please sound off.

Thanks!

Re: Best Client / IDE

Posted by Thai Bui <bl...@gmail.com>.
If you consider CLI clients then I would say beeline is the best of breed
for a CLI client.

For a web UI, the best could be the Data Analytics Studio
<https://hortonworks.com/blog/announcing-general-availability-data-analytics-studio/>
from
Hortonworks (now Cloudera). You will need to be a customer of HDP to have
this tool. I'm not a user of it nor am I sponsored but from reading the
docs there's a lot of advanced features that are missing in other tools
such as advanced query profiling, recommendations, data lineage (through
integration with Atlas) and more.

For fully open source web UI, I'd recommend Cloudera Hue. It has improved
significantly over the past few years and I am a user of it. Hue 4.4 just
got released on March 2019 and has better support for Hive on Tez. It has
got a powerful table browser, notebook for sharing and collaboration, a
full-featured editor with really good autosuggestions and more. Other
similar products that are just as powerful but more complicated to use
include Apache Zeppelin and Jupyter Notebook. None of these tools have a
query profiler/debugger but you can build and use Tez UI for that.

--
Thai

Re: Best Client / IDE

Posted by Shawn Weeks <sw...@weeksconsulting.us>.
I've been using DBeaver or the DBeaver plugin for Eclipse for most of my SQL requirements.  It supports virtually any JDBC connection. I've also used JetBrains DataGrip a commercial solution that also seems to work pretty well.

Thanks
Shawn