Posted to users@maven.apache.org by vbehar <v....@free.fr> on 2008/11/26 14:20:41 UTC

metadata download and 404

Hi,

I have a problem with 404 server answers when maven downloads the
maven-metadata.xml files.

We have 3 internal repositories, behind a simple apache (so it's all
static), and we're using mirrors to access only our internal repos. From
time to time, maven writes the "maven-metadata-myrepo2.xml" file for an
artifact with the following content :

<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
found on this server.</p>
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:41:34 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8d

<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
found on this server.</p>

As the content of the file is wrong (it is the 404 HTML answer and not the
well-formatted XML), then maven fails with the following error :

Unable to read local copy of metadata: Cannot read metadata from
'xxx/maven-metadata-myrepo2.xml' : in epilog non whitespace content is not
allowed but got H (position: END_TAG seen ...</body></html>\nH... @8:2)

The strange thing is that most of the time it is working well.

So if anyone has a similar comportment, or knows why from times to times
maven writes the 404 html answer to the file...

Thanks for any answer,
Vincent

Re: metadata download and 404

Posted by "Walid \"jo\" Gedeon" <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hello Vincent,
>From what I've seen [ I'm no expert ;-) ] you need to have web read rights
on the folders on the server, not just the artifacts. I.e. in your case,
putting 'http://<server>/maven2-repos/myrepo2/' above in a browser should
provide listing on contents (as well as for sub-folders), instead of just
being able to download the xml file...

Another possible reason could be proxy configuration in your settings.xml
file, i.e. the visibility of the server _from_ where you're starting mvn.

HTH,

Posted by vbehar <v....@free.fr>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> So if anyone has a similar comportment, or knows why from times to times
> maven writes the 404 html answer to the file...

This is generally caused by incorrectly configured webservers running
at the mirrors you are connecting to.

It needs to send a real 404. Not just an error message that looks like a 404.

Wayne