Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Randy <rr...@livedatagroup.com> on 2008/10/17 17:49:48 UTC

rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Is this really necessary for yahoo.com generated e-mail?

0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
1.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS RBL: Envelope sender in whois.rfc-ignorant.org
1.7 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST RBL: Envelope sender in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org

RCR

Re: rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Friday 17 October 2008, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>On Fri, October 17, 2008 17:49, Randy wrote:
>> Is this really necessary for yahoo.com generated e-mail?
>
>olso what i ask myself
>
>> 0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
>> 1.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS RBL: Envelope sender in whois.rfc-ignorant.org
>> 1.7 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST RBL: Envelope sender in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
>
>write to postmaster@yahoo.com and ask them

Rotsa Ruck.  That is a black hole, or /dev/null address.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Friday 17 October 2008, Chris wrote:
>On Friday 17 October 2008 7:24 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >Today, it indicates yahoo.com.
>>
>> Which equates to the same thing.  I did have a few addresses of known spam
>> emitters in my procmailrc, but found I had to remove one of those in spite
>> of it being responsible for about 200 spams a day.  Seems that machine was
>> also the outbound sender for quite a few of the mailing lists yahoo
>> maintains.
>>
>> Nastygrams to yahoo of course are attracted to a black hole they feed all
>> mail addressed to 'postmaster' and 'admin', never to be seen by another
>> human who might have a quarter to call somebody who gives a $hit.
>
>Odd, I have no problems at all sending abuse messages to yahoo and I
> actually get replies, whether their honest ones or not I don't know but
> they do come in. For instance:
>
>From: Yahoo! New Zealand <nz...@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
> To: Chris <cp...@embarqmail.com>
> Reply to: Yahoo! New Zealand <nz...@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
>
>Hello,
>
>Thank you for writing to Yahoo! New Zealand.
>
>In this particular case, we have taken appropriate action against the
>Yahoo!Xtra account in question, as per our Terms of Service (TOS).
>
>From: Yahoo! Mail <ma...@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
> To: Chris <cp...@embarqmail.com>
> Reply to: Yahoo! Mail <ma...@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
>
>Hello,
>
>Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mail.
>
>In this particular case, we have taken appropriate action against the
>Yahoo! account in question, as per our Terms of Service (TOS).  For
>further details about the Yahoo! TOS, you can visit:
>
>Note - I send all yahoo abuse reports to network-abuse@cc.yahoo-inc.com,
>rauschen@yahoo-inc.com via a set of scripts I run that were written by
>Karsten Self.

Never ever got a reply from them, nor did the flood of spam go away till weeks
later.  YMMV I guess. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Posted by Chris <cp...@embarqmail.com>.

From: Yahoo! Mail <ma...@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
 To: Chris <cp...@embarqmail.com>
 Reply to: Yahoo! Mail <ma...@cc.yahoo-inc.com>

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mail.

In this particular case, we have taken appropriate action against the
Yahoo! account in question, as per our Terms of Service (TOS).  For
further details about the Yahoo! TOS, you can visit:

Note - I send all yahoo abuse reports to network-abuse@cc.yahoo-inc.com,
rauschen@yahoo-inc.com via a set of scripts I run that were written by
Karsten Self.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Friday 17 October 2008, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> Is this really necessary for yahoo.com generated e-mail?
>>
>> 0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
>> 1.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS RBL: Envelope sender in whois.rfc-ignorant.org
>> 1.7 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST RBL: Envelope sender in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
>
>Run sa-update on recent versions of SA and it will automatically drop those
>scored.
>
>Long time ago, in a land far away, GOOD site admins actually had working
>abuse@ and postmater@ addresses.
>
>Long ago, ICANN used to delist domains that had broken or unreachable whois
>contact information.
>
>So, long ago, ignorant, stupid or lazy was a good indication of spam
>sources.
>Today, it indicates yahoo.com.

Which equates to the same thing.  I did have a few addresses of known spam
emitters in my procmailrc, but found I had to remove one of those in spite of
it being responsible for about 200 spams a day.  Seems that machine was also
the outbound sender for quite a few of the mailing lists yahoo maintains.

Nastygrams to yahoo of course are attracted to a black hole they feed all mail
addressed to 'postmaster' and 'admin', never to be seen by another human who
might have a quarter to call somebody who gives a $hit.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"Morality is one thing.  Ratings are everything."
- A Network 23 executive on "Max Headroom"

Re: rfc-ignorant spamassassin score

Posted by Randy <rr...@livedatagroup.com>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> Is this really necessary for yahoo.com generated e-mail?
>>
>> 0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
>> 1.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS RBL: Envelope sender in whois.rfc-ignorant.org
>> 1.7 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST RBL: Envelope sender in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
>>

> Run sa-update on recent versions of SA and it will automatically drop those
> scored.
>
> Long time ago, in a land far away, GOOD site admins actually had working
> abuse@ and postmater@ addresses.
>
> Long ago, ICANN used to delist domains that had broken or unreachable whois
> contact information.
>
> So, long ago, ignorant, stupid or lazy was a good indication of spam
> sources.
> Today, it indicates yahoo.com.

Thanks! And so true. Nice way to put it too.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
> Is this really necessary for yahoo.com generated e-mail?
>
> 0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
> 1.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_WHOIS RBL: Envelope sender in whois.rfc-ignorant.org
> 1.7 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST RBL: Envelope sender in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org

Run sa-update on recent versions of SA and it will automatically drop those
scored.

Long time ago, in a land far away, GOOD site admins actually had working
abuse@ and postmater@ addresses.

Long ago, ICANN used to delist domains that had broken or unreachable whois
contact information.

So, long ago, ignorant, stupid or lazy was a good indication of spam
sources.
Today, it indicates yahoo.com.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com