Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Vincent-Olivier Arsenault <vi...@neuro6.com> on 2000/07/18 17:10:33 UTC

XSLT with SAX, Reduced Instruction Set Optimization and Literal Result Element Stylesheets.

Hi,

I just want to know how to get the speediest transformations using Xalan
(besides avoiding expensive operation like sorting), and also if there's a
way I can help implementing some acceleration features.

SAX:
Well, if you go on the FAQ, it says that having the processor responding to
SAX events is recommended, but a recent post from Scott Boag actually denied
that, stating it was actually slower.

So, it's not good to have it respond to SAX but can it generate SAX events
pretty safely?

Reduced Instruction Set Optimization and Literal Result Element Stylesheets:
Could streaming be achieved for reduced instruction set stylesheets? In
order to decide if a transformation is safe for streaming without keeping an
input dom, could the processor analyze the stylesheet first (for
pooled-reused stylesheets, could that be beneficial)? I'm thinking of simple
templates like:

<xsl:template match="person">
	<xsl:value-of select="firstname"/>
  	<xsl:copy-of select="address"/>
</xsl:template>

Or literal result element stylesheets like:

      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/strict">
  <head>
    <title>Expense Report Summary</title>
  </head>

Is that implemented? Would that help? Could it be done easily?

thanks,
vincent-oliver arsenault