Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@apache.org> on 2016/01/29 22:01:31 UTC

Fwd: February 2016 report timeline

Looks like podling reports are due next Wednesday. Here's a draft. Unless
there are any comments, I'll post this early next week on the report wiki.

--------------------
Kudu

Kudu is a distributed columnar storage engine built for the Apache Hadoop
ecosystem.

Kudu has been incubating since 2015-12-03.

  1. Continue to move over infrastructure (JIRA, etc) to ASF
  2. Build a more diverse development and user community
  3. Perform releases under the ASF

aware of?

None.

- In January, we have received patches from three new contributors.  The
  patches were of varying size (from trivial to quite significant) but we're
  encouraged that new developers are finding the patch submission process
  approachable.

- Overall >110 patches were committed in January from 11 developers
  representing three organizations. Discounting some large patches which
replaced
  our copyright boilerplate, license notices, etc, around 10-12kloc were
changed
  in January. This is a substantial increase compared to December which had
only
  29 patches, representing less than 1000 lines of changed code.

  Lines of code are not a primary metric we track, but the above shows that
  the community is getting back into rapid and lively development after a
  lull during the holiday season. This is also evident in the dev list
traffic
  (1084 messages so far in January).

- Community members continue to give public talks about Kudu at various
  conferences and meetups. Talks were delivered at meetups in Atlanta and
Palo
  Alto, and more are being scheduled for the coming months.

- The public Kudu Slack channel has proven fairly popular among both the
  developer and user communities. The group now has 116 members, of which
  ~20 are typically active on an average weekday.

Since the last report, we've accomplished the following milestones:

- We set up a workflow and scripting for committers to easily push work that
  has been reviewed on Gerrit into our official ASF repository. We are
  following the best practices established by the AsterixDB podling.

- We moved over our user and developer discussions to ASF mailing lists
  and discontinued usage of our old Google Groups. Migration of JIRA
  is an ongoing project which we hope to close out this coming month.

- We set up publicly-accessible precommit builds so that non-Cloudera
  contributors can see automated test results for their contributions.

- We adjusted our licensing boilerplate and documentation to comply
  with our understanding of ASF policies. We also started to build
  scripting for doing ASF-style source releases. We are planning on
  doing our first release in the incubator in early Feb.

Date of last release:

  None under the ASF. Outside of the ASF, we released 0.6.0 on 11/24/2015.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  None since initial incubation.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
OK, I posted to the wiki: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2016

Mentors, please take a look and sign off at your leisure.

-Todd

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
+1, lgtm. Thanks for writing it up Todd.

Mike

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1
St.Ack