Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2012/10/09 23:19:13 UTC

Re: Resources - Custom URL scheme for unified access

On 09/09/2012 20:13, Mark Thomas wrote:
> This is issue e) in Konstantin's comments in TOMCAT-NEXT.txt

<snip />

> I think this boils down to "Is there a requirement for a scheme that
> provides unified URLs?" While it does hide the details of where stuff is
> from an application, if does so with a layer of indirection and that has
> a performance cost. Note: Performance / caching is a separate issue and
> I have already created a separate thread for that.

Aside: I haven't looked at what the overhead for implementing this might
be yet.

> If this feature is required, it can be added by modifying / wrapping the
> StandardRoot implementation. Currently, I think the only reason we might
> need this is if we need caching for performance then we'll need a custom
> URL scheme to ensure access via URLs goes through the cache. Therefore,
> in my view, resolving this issue depends on determining if caching (in a
> similar manner to the current implementation) is required.

Caching is definitely required. So, do we need to provide a custom URL
scheme?

Pros:
- Apps that use URLs would benefit from the cache

Neutral
- Hides real location and type of resource

Cons:
- Overhead
- URLs require encoding / decoding

If we do go this route I'd like to change the scheme from "jndi://" to
"tomcat://". This is for several reasons:
- I believe there was a complaint that "jndi://" clashed with another
  component.
- It makes clear the old and the new are very different and not
  compatible.

I'm very much on the fence at the moment as I don't have any hard
evidence for either the costs or the benefits of implementing this. I'm
leaning towards leaving this as a TBD, putting out an early milestone /
release candidate and getting some user feedback on performance.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Resources - Custom URL scheme for unified access

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 22:19 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
> If we do go this route I'd like to change the scheme from "jndi://" to
> "tomcat://". This is for several reasons:
> - I believe there was a complaint that "jndi://" clashed with another
>   component.
> - It makes clear the old and the new are very different and not
>   compatible.

Not sure if it clashed with something, but the main reason it was
"jndi://" is because the API used was JNDI. So use something else,
"tomcat://" sounds good.

Rémy