Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Alex Broytman <al...@instinet.com> on 2011/06/01 22:40:52 UTC

Is it possible to create encrypted HSSF workbooks?

Hello,

our application needs to be able create encrypted (password protected)
workbooks using POI HSSF. We can read encrypted workbooks, but is creation of
such workbooks supported?

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to create encrypted HSSF workbooks?

Posted by Maxim Valyanskiy <ma...@jet.msk.su>.
Hello!

02.06.2011, в 19:31, Nick Burch написал(а):

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Alex Broytman wrote:
>> our application needs to be able create encrypted (password protected) workbooks using POI HSSF. We can read encrypted workbooks, but is creation of such workbooks supported?
>
> I believe the encryption support is currently only read-only. Maxim may have an idea of how much work write support may be, and we'd love patches if you did get a chance to implement it!

Yes, encryption support is read-only. Encryption is well documented in MSDN - look at MS-OFFCRYPTO and MS-XLS specifications. I think that it would be easier to implement encryption support for XLSX than for XLS.

best wishes, Max

Re: Is it possible to create encrypted HSSF workbooks?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Alex Broytman wrote:
> our application needs to be able create encrypted (password protected)
> workbooks using POI HSSF. We can read encrypted workbooks, but is
> creation of such workbooks supported?

I believe the encryption support is currently only read-only. Maxim may
have an idea of how much work write support may be, and we'd love patches
if you did get a chance to implement it!

Nick