Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/01 07:32:33 UTC

Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

I noticed that the 1.1 console has the www.geronimoplugins.com site as a
default value for the URL in the "Import/Export Configurations" page.
This was introduced in  http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=394605&view=rev .

I have a few questions:

Was the plugin concept, site etc. discussed on the dev list?  I haven't
been able to find much at all.
Where is this site currently hosted?
Will it be an ASF hosted site before the 1.1 release goes out?
Where is the source for the site?

Thanks,

John

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I want to apologize for this email I sent...the address info came from
"whois geronimoplugins.com" and felt that even though its public
information, that in retrospect it was probably not a good idea to paste
it in the email.  I was just asking about the ownership information and
did not mean anything offensive by this.  My sincere apologies to the
Mulders.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I have to agree with John here, as this comes as a big surprise.  Did I
miss a discussion on this?  The domain currently shows:

   Administrative Contact:
      Mulder, Erin  meara@alumni.princeton.edu
      None
      706 Larkspur Lane
      Warrington, Pennsylvania 18976
      United States
      (000) 000-0000      Fax --

   Technical Contact:

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
I am one of those who just found it out by testing and documenting the console. I could not find any
  reference anywhere, just a few svn commit.

I guess most of the questions will be addressed when we discuss it here on the dev list but in the
mean time, Aaron could you please share some info about the whole plugins philosophy/implementation
so I can add it to the documentation.
Thanks

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> As far as whether plugins are valuable, here's an example to consider.
> Let's say someone gives you an EAR that contains a WAR and an EJB
> JAR, and uses JMS as well as a database pool.  Your task is to get
> this running in Geronimo.
>
> Strategy 1: File-based (they provide EAR, you write 5 XML files)
> - install any required 3rd party JARs
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for WAR
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for EJB JAR
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for EAR
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for the DB pool
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for the JMS resources
> - deploy all those in some sensible order, each with the accompanying
> JAR file (the TranQL RAR and ActiveMQ RAR for the resources)
>
> Strategy 2: Use the console to your advantage (they provide EAR, you
> write 3 XML files)
> - install any required 3rd party JARs
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for WAR
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for EJB JAR
> - write a Geronimo deployment plan for EAR
> - use the console to configure, test, and deploy the DB pool
> - use the console to configure and deploy the JMS resources
> - deploy the application
>
> Strategy 3: Install from a plugin (they provide plugin)
> - point Geronimo to the application plugin.  Application, DB Pool,
> and JMS resources are all downloaded with their dependencies and
> everything is installed automatically in one shot.

What I read from these three strategies you described is like you would no longer able to package
your *ARs with all the required deployment plans. Is that so? why would you be able to package all
XMLs in a plugin but not in WAR or JAR ...

If someone gives you an EAR as you say then that's all you have, an EAR, not a plugin. If that
person is able to provide you with a plugin then that person can also provide you with an EAR
including all the app deployment plans as well as the plans (even scripts) for deploying other
resources such as data sources and JMS connection factories, etc.

> As far as whether different kinds of things should be plugins, patches
> and updates can use the plugin infrastructure, so we might as well
> consider them.  And I don't think that either sample applications or
> an LDAP server are "core functions" that should be included with the
> default Geronimo download.  It's fine if we have an installer package
> that lets you select some extensions to include in your installation,
> but if you just grap a zip or tarball, I'd much prefer that it was
> very clean/lightweight with easy links to install additional
> functionality.

So you are saying we are moving to have just one minimal distribution (little-G) and then we build
our own custom Geronimo solution?

I would really like to have a separate discussion about this approach.

We should also expand more about what is the vision, strategy and goals for the Geronimo project and
cast it in stone. Speaking just for myself, I have not had a good sense of direction lately. It
might be good to spend some time revising and discussing some of the things we give as granted and
some things we may have forgotten.

Having just three bullets on the welcome page does not quite say it, does it!? :)

> Another use case is the minimal Tomcat server.  It will be possible to
> start with the lightest-weight Geronimo installation and add JMS or DB
> pools or EJB or the full J2EE bundle via plugins.  Without
> re-installing your apps or restarting the server!  Let's say you have
> an existing web app and you want to add JMS.  Much nicer to make the
> new version of your app depend on an ActiveMQ resource group and just
> redeploy the plugin for your app and have JMS features downloaded and
> added to your server at runtime, so in the process of the app upgrade
> the new server features go in, the new resources go it, and it all
> goes live.  Bam! (if you favor Emeril.)  No need to do a separate
> Geronimo/J2EE installation and repeat any configuration you may have
> done in your old installation and them add new resources in the
> console and only then deploy your new app and find out at that time
> whether you've done everything right and all the dependencies are
> there (oops, forgot the security realm).

The jelly is starting to jell :D

A few things to consider though:
- Must consider offline installation.
- You should be able to point to not just URLs but also a local directory.
- You should be able to export just about anything in Geronimo as a plugin, no matter how that
resource/app was originally deployed (portability)

> For "production" use, I think it'll be nice in many situations to
> transfer a module directly from one server to another without
> redeploying.  For example, from a dev box to a QA box, perhaps.  Make

But that would not be production, that would be part of the development cycle, right!?

> absolutely sure you're using the same code.  It won't always be
> appropriate, like if you require different EJB env-entry settings for
> the different environments, but it could handle something like your
> database pool points to a different DB in each environment but the app
> always points to the same database pool name.

Yup, while still in the development cycle (including QA) you will always point to different
resources. So I still can not see the difference from what I would normally do. For instance, you
have the application running on the test environment. This app uses a data source that points to a
local database. When you are done with testing and QA you move that app to the production
environment where you already have configured a data source with the same name but with different
connection parameters and pointing to the production database. Here is where I still can not see the
difference of having a plugin, you would require multiple plugins which in turn would only hold
either the application and deployment plans or the plans for a resource....

> Finally, I think plugins will be pretty effective for examples since
> they minimize the number of steps to get a group of related things
> installed.  It's certainly possible to pack a lot into a single EAR if
> you're sufficiently clever about it, but with plugins it should be
> easier to have 1-stop installs for whatever modules you want people to
> have to work through things.  There are even plugin lists so you can
> install 10 otherwise unrelated things in one bundle.  No good if you
> want to teach them how to write a deployment plan, but hey.

What would be the steps for removing a plugin? I think it is equally important, if we provide a
single step install, we should also provide a single step uninstall and deal with all the dependencies.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+10000 to "First, I would really like to see and participate in the
discussions before seeing the changes already implemented.".

I guess the idea is similar (same?) as people putting up sites for
their Eclipse plugins. So +1 from me.

+1 to set up an ASF site for "our" plugins and make that the default.
Where "our" implies not just Geronimo but any other ASF project that
want to do a plugin as well. Just like the LDAP one. I can think of an
Axis2/Tuscany/Synapse/Ode/etc... plugins for automatic deploy of our
artifacts.

-- dims

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
OK, I'll put in such a change tonight.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
i was researching the old email threads on how maven set ibiblio as
default and found these :)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-dev&m=102856845831969&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-dev&m=102634795116066&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-dev&m=102721396814966&w=2

-- dims

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I am now satisfied with Aarons approach as well - my -1 is now a +0.  My
issues were more with discussing this before implementing (yes CTR may
apply, but this clearly has the potential for enough strife that solid
discussion should be appropriate on this topic).

Thanks for the lengthy emails as of late Aaron, that has helped me
considerably...and this is exciting stuff.

I offer a +0 instead of a +1 as I still think there needs to be some
hammering out of the details...but I am ok with where we are at and the
direction we will be going.

Jeff

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I should mention that the layout of the plugins is just that of a
Maven 2 repository, and the current plugins are configured to use
ibiblio as a secondary site for downloading JARs that are
dependencies.  You can also point the console at another Geronimo
server, which is configured at act as a Maven 2 repository for this
purpose.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 5/1/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the 1.1 console has the www.geronimoplugins.com site as a
> default value for the URL in the "Import/Export Configurations" page.
> This was introduced in  http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=394605&view=rev .
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> Was the plugin concept, site etc. discussed on the dev list?  I haven't
> been able to find much at all.

No, not really as such, more in little bits and pieces and discussions
at TSSJS and so on.  Though I think it was covered in some detail in
the vision and goals writeup.  I need to do a better job of describing
the plugin architecture, but I've been kind of holding off until it
gets out of the testing stages and I can put together a writeup with
some walkthroughs and so on.  But I'll send out some documentation on
it later today.

> Where is this site currently hosted?

Erin's currently donating the hosting.

> Will it be an ASF hosted site before the 1.1 release goes out?

No.  Among other things, it needs to be able to host non-ASL plugins,
including GPL, commercial, whatever.  We really need a central site
for *all* plugins, not separate places for ASL plugins and non-ASL
open source and non-open source plugins.

> Where is the source for the site?

The source for the plugins themselves is presently entirely in the
Geronimo SVN tree.  To make a configuration into a plugin, you just
need an extra XML descriptor, and the Geronimo packaging plugin has
hooks to insert that into CARs as they are built.  However, as new
plugins come in, it will no longer be the case that all the plugin
source is at Apache.

The source for the web site itself is on the site.  It's not open
source (e.g. the images are not redistributable as such), however,
we'd be glad to set up accounts for any Geronimo committers who want
to work on the site.  And the web site really isn't the important part
-- it just a way to navigate to the plugins themselves.

Bottom line, I feel strongly that we need a wide-ranging plugin
ecosystem, like many other plugin-based projects that come to mind,
and due to redistribution limitations it doesn't seem workable to host
it at Apache.  Our goal here is not to create a little fiefdom, but to
provide the widest possible set of plugins to the Geronimo community,
in an easy to reach fashion.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I am volunteering to research with Infra to find out what it would
> take.  I think we at least need to understand what is possible and not
> simply speculate on it.

Speaking w/ my infra hat, there is a strong aversion to single-sourcing
resources on ASF infra when they can be mirrored or embedded.

I don't think we'd want to host plugins here unless we could mirror the
repo.  I'd imagine millions of copies of Geronimo banging away walking
the repo would irritate someone :)

(Also, remember the joke "Don't reboot the JBoss server - Sourceforge is
down so the schemas won't resolve...")

That's why I suggested changing the model so that there is a simple
meta-data document that Geronimo the software reads to get info on
either the plug-in list a set of URLs to plug-in lists...

geir

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Just a thought, We could do it from the geronimo solaris zone...that
way everyone involved have instant karma on the box to do the needful.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
With some guidance, sure. At least for ASF plugins.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to "I do not think we should make the geronimoplugins site the
default and we need an ASF option as the default."

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Just like gump descriptors...which builds all sorts of stuff with all
sorts of licenses.

-- dims

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
I think Geir is really onto something here.  I spent a couple of years
working on a project whose goal was to facilitate software reuse
across the scientific computing community, which often uses a
development model similar to open source.  Our initial approach was to
create a monolithic repository for all the software files and this led
to a number of problems, everything from issues with intellectual
property rights to debates on look and feel (sound familiar?).  The
more successful approach was to create a customizable data model for
the software metadata and to harvest the entire collection of metadata
into a centralized repository that contained pointers to the files
hosted elsewhere.  Here's the project url with papers 'n stuff in case
anyone is interested in reading further http://icl.cs.utk.edu/rib/

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> I have to disagree with putting up an ASF option as the default.
>>
>> Let's say there are 50 plugins produced by Apache and 70 by outsiders.
>>
>> We have a choice to make the default a repository containing 50
>> entries, or a repository containing 120 entries.  What makes sense?
>
> Here's a alternative idea...
>
> How about hosting the directory/metadata of plugins at the ASF (or
> even cooler, do something mirrored to avoid the ire of infra when
> Geronimo is ubiquitous) and just have URLs to the plugin locations...?
>
> Then that drives all plug-in authors to come and "register" them here
> - just send a message to the mail list to have it included...
>
> Then it doesn't matter - you can list plugins under all licenses
> (including proprietary) - and they are hosted where they are hosted,
> if you know what I mean.  No worries about Apache hosting things that
> aren't from the ASF, etc.

I really like this idea.  It's simple and should be easy to setup.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I'm a bit concerned about this issue impacting the 1.1 release.  There are many questions that need
to be resolved but I expect that investigating Apache Infra, what other sites will there be, etc.

I think we can all agree that the feature is awesome.  So, that said it needs to go into the release
and I hope that is not in dispute.

The primary issue is "Where is the site?"  Right now the only site that is available is
www.geronimoplugins.com.  So, that as a default is fine with me.  We should have something similar
at the ASF for Apache software that we decide to make available.  Quite honestly, the work to build,
test and release a plugin from the project seems pretty tedious to me and I expect that we as a
project won't like that revving these things.

I propose we add the ability to have the server get a list from the geronimo.apache.org website.
For now the default remains www.geronimoplugins.com until we have a better solution.

Remember, this is not a dependency on other sites but rather an optional feature that allows for
extension points.  The server DOES NOT require the plugin function.  It is an optional feature.

My perspective as the 1.1 release manager is we leave it as is except for the ability to get a list
from our site (or perhaps the maven ecosystem).

I think we're all excited about the feature.  Let's make this happen.

I'll +1 my own suggestion.

Posted by Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Isn't there a bigger security concern here?  Say some guy shows up and
> says he is from organization X and wants to add the latest XSoft
> application to the index.... get my point?

Regardless of where things are hosted, I think it would be nice to
eventually be able to support plugins signed with X.509** certificates
so that people can verify the authenticity of signed plugins and
knowingly accept risk when they install an unsigned plugin.

For the first release though, a warning on the plugin page ought to
suffice.  I think it's important to get the technology out there and
start getting feedback, inspiring plugin developers, etc.

Cheers,
Erin

**I am a fan of GPG/PGP, but it's more tedious / less useful than
centralized PKI for most users who haven't established a strong web of
trust.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Isn't there a bigger security concern here?  Say some guy shows up
and says he is from organization X and wants to add the latest XSoft
application to the index.... get my point?

I don't think the Apache Geronimo project has the free time to
provide the due diligence that this type of site requires.   I would
prefer that we take advantage of groups that want to run such a
site.  I'm thinking of Aaron, Apache for Apache plugins, and maybe
one day we can just use the central Maven repository.

-dain

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/06, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Is Apache going to have any issues being responsible for
> maintaining this list of all kinds of plugins from all kinds of people
> with all kinds of licenses?  (So long as it's only the metadata it's
> providing, of course.)

No. we do it for gump already.

thanks,
dims

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Hernan Cunico wrote:
> Can anybody provide details (user/developer guide
> documentation level) about the architecture and design. We desperately
> need those details added to the product documentation, what we have
> today is far from enough.

Aaron posted two links to the list yesterday (Subject: About Geronimo
Plugins).  The first led to a short FAQ.  The second led to a 58-page
PDF that walked through a lot of the details as they stand today.

Cheers,
Erin

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I have to disagree with putting up an ASF option as the default.
>
> Let's say there are 50 plugins produced by Apache and 70 by outsiders.
>
> We have a choice to make the default a repository containing 50
> entries, or a repository containing 120 entries.  What makes sense?
>
> To me, this is a no-brainer, you make the default the one that offers
> the best selection to the user.
>
> If you're worried about site maintenance, as I've said repeatedly,
> we're more than happy to provide accounts to Geronimo committers who
> want to help out.  We could also move much of the site content to an
> Apache SVN repo if you like, leaving the non-free content such as
> images as URLs that will need to be resolved by the browser.
>
> There was a proposal on IRC to set up a separate non-profit
> organization to manage the plugin site, and I think we'd be happy to
> ultimately transition the site to such an organization.  Another
> recommendation was to allow the list of available plugin sites to be
> updated on demand (e.g. not only updated by new Geronimo releases),
> which is also fine.

Aaron, all the decisions should be made on the dev list, specially if the discussion was over IRC,
you know that. We should be discussing about the plugins before implementing them, not after.

Based on the previous paragraph are you also proposing the creation of a "separate organization",
did I get that right ????  Isn't the project "Apache" Geronimo??? why would we strip it to the bone
and have all the functionality available elsewhere?

I do not believe the next paragraph is a long enough explanation/justification. I think a deeper
analysis should be made about the pros and cons.

> Finally, remember, this is not a proposal to host the Geronimo core
> offsite, or to replace the Apache repository as the authoritative site
> for downloads of Apache components.  This is a method to make the
> widest possible selection of third-party / after-market components
> available to Geronimo users.

Again, I think we need to discuss further the whole approach and the implications. Can anybody
provide details (user/developer guide documentation level) about the architecture and design. We
desperately need those details added to the product documentation, what we have today is far from
enough. I can't write everything by myself, so please help with the documentation (that applies to
all the topics)

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.