Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Natalya Smirnov <Na...@reuters.com> on 2004/11/16 16:03:39 UTC

svn cvs speed

Do you know a method to calculate timing to perform basic operations in
svn and cvs?

Natalya Smirnov
Computer Science Intern
Infrastructure Development
3 Times Square,
New York, NY 10036
natalya.smirnov@reuters.com

the views of Reuters Ltd.

Re: svn cvs speed

Posted by Brass Tilde <br...@insightbb.com>.
> Take a CVS repository, and an equivalent Subversion repository (the
> generation of an equivalent Subversion repository, complete with
> revision history, might be a problem (cvs2svn can help, but I have found
> in the past that cvs2svn repositories are not optimal wrt branch
> creation). Then

The best way to do that would be to create both repositories from scratch,
using the same set of files for both, rather than try to convert from one to
the other.  That way, each repository is made with the tool designed to use
it.  Then move on with the test.

Re: svn cvs speed

Posted by Dave Neary <da...@phenix.fr>.
Hi Natalya,

Natalya Smirnov wrote:
> Do you know a method to calculate timing to perform basic operations in
> svn and cvs?

The Unix command "time" might help you.

Take a CVS repository, and an equivalent Subversion repository (the
generation of an equivalent Subversion repository, complete with
revision history, might be a problem (cvs2svn can help, but I have found
in the past that cvs2svn repositories are not optimal wrt branch
creation). Then

time svn co -d Xsvn X
time cvs co -d Xcvs X

will give you timings for a checkout from both. You might try different
operations (creating a branch, for example) in both to see the
difference. For checking in, generate a patch file from one of the
working copies, apply it to both.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary
Phenix Engineering

Re: svn cvs speed

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Natalya Smirnov wrote:

> Do you know a method to calculate timing to perform basic operations
> in svn and cvs?

There are so many variables involved that it would be practically
meaningless. Are you trying to benchmark both systems to see which is
faster for you, or is there some other goal you are trying to achieve?
Which operations are you wanting to time?