Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jan Luehe <Ja...@Sun.COM> on 2003/06/20 22:18:14 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons EL 1.0 Released

The Commons EL team is pleased to announce the first official release of
Commons EL from the Apache Software Foundation.

Commons EL provides an interpreter for the Expression Language that is
part of the JavaServer Pages (JSP) specification, version 2.0.

For more details, see the Release Notes at

  http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/el/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

The binary distribution is available at

  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi,

and the source distribution at

  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi

Please remember to verify the signatures of the distribution bundles using
the keys found at

  http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/el/KEYS

For more information on Commons EL, go to

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/el.html

Jan Luehe

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons EL 1.0 Released

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 06:02 PM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 25/6/03 2:49 "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>> On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 06:58 AM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>
>>> Someone cares to explain the difference between JEXL and this one?
>>
>> Jexl is my own concoction to do what the JSTL EL does with extensions,
>> w/o worry about some of the limitations of the EL (such as access to
>> methods...)
>
> Ah! :-) Because I always used the JSP spec to guide me in the use of
> JEXL
> expressions..

Jexl was originally written to support as far as it could the JSTL
spec.  That's still the intention - however, there are useful things
from other places (like Velocity) where extending the spec was
important to me and to users, such as arbitrary method calls

    foo.bar( woogie.thingy() )

I'm not sure where the JSP spec is on this at this point.

>> Jelly uses Jexl, and Maven use Jelly, so there is some use :)
>
> I'm just digging around for expression languages, and was wondering
> about
> the differences (as they do look way similar)... Anyhow, I just opted
> to use
> JXPATH :-)

:)

geir

>     Pier

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons EL 1.0 Released

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
AFAIK (hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong) EL is an
implementation of a standard (JSP2.0 expression language) whereas JEXL is
an extended version of the language with velocity-inspired features.

- robert

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.