Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/04/19 19:14:28 UTC

Re: [FileUpload] How to get number of uploaded files from the request

I believe you're referring to the FileUpload component, and not the
FileUtils class within the IO component...

It is not possible to find out how many uploaded files there are in the
request before parsing that request, since there is no "summary" information
provided up front. It is only as the request is parsed that the individual
items can be identified.

An alternative approach for you might be to let FileUpload use its default
repository, or your own default directory, and then move the files to your
uniquely named directory after the request has been parsed. Note that as
long as the upload repository and your final directory are on the same
drive, the files will be moved rather than copied, so the operation is
inexpensive.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
> Thanks for advice. I have another question related to my problem.
>
> Is there possibility to know if ANY file was uploaded (before request
> is parsed)?

No, for exactly the same reason as I explained below.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Julian Legeny <jl...@abmira.sk>.