Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark Menard <ma...@mjm.net> on 2007/05/11 20:10:05 UTC

[S2] Book Ideas

I'm seriously considering writing a dead tree Struts 2 cookbook. What types
of recipes would you like to see? I've created a page on my blog listing a
number of ideas. I'd also like to know what the community wants to see in a
recipe style Struts 2 book.

    http://www.vitarara.org/cms/node/122

Thanks,

Mark
--
Mark Menard

Re: [S2] Book Ideas

Posted by Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com>.
I'd like to see detailed instructions on the tags in lots of situations.
I've spent more time fighting with S2 tags than anything else.  Examples
integrating S2 tags with JSTL.  Also, info about the template facility.

I liked your online 'LoginInterceptor', and would like to read your book.
I've found that S2 works fairly well most of the time, but there are
definitely lots of twitches which I'd like explained.  Lots of info about
injectors would help.  Life Cycle explanations and examples. Etc.

- Ray Clough

Re: [S2] Book Ideas

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Deadtree or not, word to the wise, you might want to seriously
consider using DocBook as a writing platform, as we are doing for
Struts from Square One.

* http://code.google.com/p/sq1-struts2/

Once we got it setup for TextPad, I found DocBook to be the easiest
way to write a technical book. The best part for me is that it's easy
to include external source files, so that you can continue to test and
edit the source in an IDE. Ditto for images and such.

Well, external source is the second-best part. The very best part has
to be that DocBook is a text format, and plays well with Subversion :)

The Velocity group has brought out a new DocBook Framework, but I
haven't had a chance to try it yet.

* http://velocity.apache.org/docbook/

I wish I had to bandwidth to do more work on a Struts 2 book myself
this year, but with the workload at the office, it's just not in the
cards. :(

HTH, Ted.