Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2008/06/13 00:44:18 UTC

RC attempts

Have I mentioned I HATE Maven?  I don't understand how
something that looks innocuous like building an RC can
go out and update the production website, which,
AFAICT, isn't backed up anywhere, so I guess I'll be
trying to regen it from the previous release.  Can
anyone tell me simply exactly what commands will
create an RC I can use without breaking all kinds of
stuff?

-Matt

P.S.  Please read this email as if it were fairly
drenched in profanity.

Re: RC attempts

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 6/13/08, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip/>

> Thanks for the notes, my condolences on the jet lag,
<snap/>

:-)

>  and my apologies if I sounded like I was attacking you
>  personally; I certainly wasn't.

<snip/>

Bah, no, it didn't come across that way either.

-Rahul

Re: RC attempts

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/08, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> <snip/>
> >
> >  I'll mention this on the wiki if I remember
> beyond the jet lag.
> >
> <snap/>
>
> Done.

:)

Re: RC attempts

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: RC attempts

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/12/08, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  --- James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
> wrote:
> >
> <snip/>
> >  >
> >  > You need to use the "rc" profile when building
> >  > release candidate.
> >  > The default profile shouldn't be updating the
> site.
> >  > We should have to
> >  > turn on a "release" profile or something for
> that to
> >  > happen.  What
> >  > command did you use?
> >  >

> > Well, actually I think my problem is that I was
> trying
> >  to use _some_ of Rahul's proposed instructions on
> the
> >  CreatingReleases page on the wiki; I need to
> remember,
> >  apparently, that none of those commands are
> >  particularly safe as yet and that I should
> completely
> >  ignore them in favor of your commands farther
> down the
> >  page.  <sigh>
> >
> <snap/>
>
> Yup, sigh:
>
>  * The default goals in release:perform include
> site-deploy (the other
> one being deploy)
>  * The rc profile should stage the site, but site
> URLs cannot be
> specified in the parent [1]
>  * You probably don't have the site set up for the
> rc profile in the
> component pom, see bottom of Commons SCXML pom [2]
>
> I'll mention this on the wiki if I remember beyond
> the jet lag.

Thanks for the notes, my condolences on the jet lag,
and my apologies if I sounded like I was attacking you
personally; I certainly wasn't.

Regards,
Matt

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/trunk/pom.xml

Re: RC attempts

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: RC attempts

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Matt Benson
> <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Update:  Luckily pquerna was available on
> #asfinfra
> > and retrieved the production site from www before
> it
> > got synched with the new content.  I couldn't get
> > JXPATH_1_2 to build the Maven 1 site... though I
> did
> > find an email trail where jcarman had had the same
> > problem before:
> >
> > Could not find the class:
> > org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary

It just occurred to me that I probably could have
retrieved a built site from a binary distro.  :)

> > I'll try the RC again tomorrow.
>
> Personally I don't like the release plugin and I
> don't use it for
> component releases (only the poms). I just tag the
> RC, manually
> setting the actual version number. Then check out
> the release
> candidate tag and build the RC using "mvn -Prc
> install" (using
> "install" rather than "package" also causes the
> checksums to be
> created - but in you local m2 repo).

Thanks, I'll try this now.  :)

-Matt