Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2013/05/28 09:34:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Accept BeanShell to Commons Sandbox (Was: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator)

Hi all PMC members,

I started a VOTE thread in general@incubator to accept BeanShell in
the incubating projects, Bertrand Delacretaz and Ant Elder made
interesting observations (pasted below) about accepting BeanShell
directly to Commons.

I think we are in the similar past situations when we voted new
committers and accepted their donations to the Commons Sandbox - WDYT?
Would it be reasonable for that PMC accepting BS in Sandbox and accept
a couple of new committers?

Many thanks in advance, all the best!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The PMC voted to sponsor the BeanShell project.  If the best place for that to happen is in a Commons Sandbox then that is the way we should do it.

Ralph

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be better not separate the mechanics of accepting code
from the community that comes with it. Can you be specific on who wants to
join Commons to work on BeanShell?

Niall

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 May 2013 09:13, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> Bonjour Luc! :)
>
> yup I soon realised I sent it to dev@ rather than private@, but not a
> bid deal since there are no secrets here :P
>
> Anyone else? I am soon calling for a vote.

We need to make sure that we follow the Incubator process as regards
name, IP clearance, copyright headers and the rest, but I don't think
that is going to be any more work if we do that in Commons rather than
Incubator.

And "graduation" is going to be easier.

Perhaps it should start in the Sandbox amd stay at least until the
intial code tidyup is complete.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Bonjour Luc! :)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Hi Simone,

Le 28/05/2013 09:34, Simone Tripodi a écrit :
> Hi all PMC members,

This message was sent to the global developers list, not to the PMC
list. I guess it can remain here so everyone can tell their opinion.

> I started a VOTE thread in general@incubator to accept BeanShell in
> the incubating projects, Bertrand Delacretaz and Ant Elder made
> interesting observations (pasted below) about accepting BeanShell
> directly to Commons.
>
> I think we are in the similar past situations when we voted new
> committers and accepted their donations to the Commons Sandbox - WDYT?
> Would it be reasonable for that PMC accepting BS in Sandbox and accept
> a couple of new committers?

I think so.

Luc