Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com> on 2005/09/07 13:53:32 UTC

svndumpfilter vs svnadmin

Hi, I have a repository that ends up as 2479097336 bytes when dumped. I need to
filter some stuff using the svnadmin dump command so I tried making a long
pipeline and got some messages saying

svn: Unsupported dumpfile version: 3

Did this by hand.

svnadmin --version
svnadmin, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
    compiled Jan 10 2005, 13:12:10

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

svndumpfilter --version
svndumpfilter, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
    compiled Jan 10 2005, 13:12:10

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

  head filtered.dmp orig.dmp
==> filtered.dmp <==
SVN-fs-dump-format-version: 3

UUID: a7bc1bb3-9edd-0310-bf06-f611768c3a79

Revision-number: 0
Prop-content-length: 56

K 8
svn:date

==> orig.dmp <==
SVN-fs-dump-format-version: 2

UUID: a7bc1bb3-9edd-0310-bf06-f611768c3a79

Revision-number: 0
Prop-content-length: 56

K 8
svn:date

so it seems that I have svnadmin v1.1.1 and svndumpfilter v1.1.1 and the latter
will not read the result of it's own output. Is that a stupid bug or a stupid me?

How can I filter my database to remove multiple items? Can I do
cat orig.dmp | svndumpfilter exclude path1 exclude path2

What will be the effect of using a version 3 dump as input to svnadmin load?
Will I forever lose the chance to do filtering?

I do not want to upgrade right now. I'm on a freebsd 4.10 system and we're using
the repository pretty intensively right now so down time will have to be delayed.
--
Robin Becker

Re: svndumpfilter vs svnadmin

Posted by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com>.
Robin Becker wrote:

> OK I figured out how to do multiple excludes in one pass, but now even
> assuming that svnadmin will read it back in will it ever be possible for
> me to filter dumps again? The filtered dump has revision 3 and cannot be
> read by my svndumpfilter.
>
> # cat filtered-dumpfile | svndumpfilter exclude a >dingo.dmp
> Excluding prefixes:
>    '/a'
>
> svn: Unsupported dumpfile version: 3

it seems that svndumpfilter makes a dumpfile with SVN-fs-dump-format-version: 3
that it refuses to touch further, but svnadmin takes this and creates a repos
that when dumped again has SVN-fs-dump-format-version: 2 so you can filter it
again. I suppose it makes sense, but not to me.

Anyhow, I now find that svnadmin load is renumbering the revisions that were
dropped. That won't be very nice to clients with existing working folders. Is it
possible to drop revisions and avoid renumbering? Or must I keep the empty
revisions?

Posted by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com>.

Posted by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com>.