Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com> on 2003/10/03 21:52:14 UTC

Re: Apache won't start - shared memory problem

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 06:47:16PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Kris Verbeeck wrote:
>
> >That won't solve the problem, the shared memory segment is still registered
> >somewhere in the kernel.  I've had lots of problems with this too and only
> >deleting the file does not solve it.  You have to remove the segments from
> >the kernel table too (see mail from Paul).
>
> Is there no way that some cleanup process (whether it involves deleting
> a file, or talking to the kernel, doesn't matter) can be done before an
> attempt is made to create the shared memory segment?

The issue is that APR creates the shmem segments using O_EXCL or
IPC_EXCL etc.  I think I've come to the conclusion that this should just
be fixed in APR, MM does an unlink/shm_unlink on the filename first, and
that doesn't cause any headaches I know of.

joe