Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Justin Workman <ju...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/06 18:41:50 UTC

Using AVRO instead of THRIFT

I am trying to test AVRO vs THRIFT for my transport. I have changed the
master type, event type and report server type in my flume-conf.xml on all
nodes (agents, collectors and masters). However I am not sure if this is
working or not. I see in the logs for my agent, that it is using AVRO to
talk to the master servers, however all my event communication with the
collectors still shows THRIFT in the logs. This is most obvious when trying
to open the connection  to the collector when it reports the following;

INFO thrift.ThriftEventSink: ThriftEventSink to
collector.test.domain.com:35853 opened

What are all the params that need to be changed to use AVRO instead of
THRIFT? Are there any directories I need to clean up after changing to AVRO
before starting flume?

Thanks
Justin

Here are my flume-conf.xml settings we are using agentBEChain for the sink
destination on the agents.

<property>
    <name>flume.master.heartbeat.rpc</name>
    <value>AVRO</value>
    <description> This specifies the RPC(THRIFT/AVRO) framework to be
        used between nodes and the master and the shell and the
        master. The default is THRIFT.
    </description>
  </property>

  <property>
    <name>flume.event.rpc</name>
    <value>AVRO</value>
    <description> This specifies the default RPC(THRIFT/AVRO)
        framework to be used for node-to-node event transmission when
        using rpcSink / rpcSource and autoCollectorSource / agent*Sink
        / agent*Chain / auto*Chains. The default is THRIFT.
    </description>
  </property>

  <property>
    <name>flume.report.server.rpc.type</name>
    <value>AVRO</value>
    <description>
        This specifies the RPC(THRIFT/AVRO) framework to be used for the
ReportServer. The default is THRIFT.
    </description>
  </property>