Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/07/15 01:56:00 UTC

[release docs] some thoughts

Couple of thoughts on Robert's release documentation at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/

In prepare.html, the manifest description doesn't quite match Sun's. They
don't mention 'Extension-Name' and they say to include the Manifest
version.

In release.html, it has the builder building the release version in
their own sandbox. I would recommend that instead it suggest the builder
checkout the particular tag into their new working directory and perform
the build there. The entire source tree does not always want to go into
the build. Then after the binaries have been built, I would recommend
releasing and re-checking out to create the sources.

Also, a -q on the zip -r will be appreciated by the builder :)

Hen

Re: [release docs] some thoughts

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i'd like to encourage people to submit comments and improvements ASAP. i
will move things around soonish so that these are linked at the main
how-to-release documents.

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 12:56 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Couple of thoughts on Robert's release documentation at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/
>
> In prepare.html, the manifest description doesn't quite match Sun's. They
> don't mention 'Extension-Name'

this is to do with the java extension mechanism but i forget now exactly
why it's in there. tradition, quite probably. i've done a quick search and
the best link i can find it
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=101804864505521&w=2.

> and they say to include the Manifest version.

yep. missed that out.

> In release.html, it has the builder building the release version in
> their own sandbox. I would recommend that instead it suggest the builder
> checkout the particular tag into their new working directory and perform
> the build there.

that's what i do. probably didn't make that clear

> The entire source tree does not always want to go into
> the build.

the entire source tree shouldn't go into the build. but what goes into the
build should be controlled by the build process, shouldn't it?

(or maybe i'm a little confused.)

> Then after the binaries have been built, I would recommend
> releasing and re-checking out to create the sources.

the new follow's craig original quite closely for the source build. it
says create a temporary directory and then export (rather than checkout)
the source. is this what you mean?

> Also, a -q on the zip -r will be appreciated by the builder :)

i like it noisey ;)

want to volunteer to patch these documents?

- robert