Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Morehouse <jm...@netconcepts.com> on 2004/08/03 21:50:18 UTC

[users@httpd] in-core cache (mod_rewrite)?

>From http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html

"Note: For plain text and DBM format files the looked-up keys are cached
in-core until the mtime of the mapfile changes or the server does a
restart. This way you can have map-functions in rules which are used for
every request.  This is no problem, because the external lookup only
happens once!"

Is the "in-core cache" held in exclusively in memory, or does it get
written to the disk if it gets too big?

Cheers,
-J

--
 Jason Morehouse (jm@netconcepts.com)
 Netconcepts LTD - Auckland, New Zealand

Re: [users@httpd] in-core cache (mod_rewrite)?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 07:50:18 +1200 (NZST), Jason Morehouse
<jm...@netconcepts.com> wrote:
> From http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html
>
> "Note: For plain text and DBM format files the looked-up keys are cached
> in-core until the mtime of the mapfile changes or the server does a
> restart. This way you can have map-functions in rules which are used for
> every request.  This is no problem, because the external lookup only
> happens once!"
>
> Is the "in-core cache" held in exclusively in memory, or does it get
> written to the disk if it gets too big?

In memory.  There would be no point in caching it to disk because the
whole point of the cache is to avoid the disk access.

I don't recall whether there are limits on the size of the cache.
You'd need to check the code.

Joshua.