Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Peder Ulander <ul...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/03 06:47:42 UTC

Vote for Apache CloudStack (was - [DISCUSS] proposal to select a mascot for Apache CloudStack while in Incubation)

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to circle back to the community to launch the next phase of the
mascot efforts - the vote.  We had a lot of great suggestions put through
to the cloudstack.org wiki between May and June and as we head into July
would love to get it up for a vote so we can get something in place to
unveil at OSCON.

As some of the suggestions were not original works, or could have used
slight bit of polish, I've had one of our graphics folks take a run through
the images and give them a quick refresh.  For example, I've taken the
Manga characters and taken that idea to create Cloud Girl or the hand
drawing variations of Cloud Monkey.  There are a few from the wiki that
didn't make it into the vote as they would be globally acceptable.  For
example, I loved the caustic cloudy and might have to make an award t-shirt
just for the submission, but criticizing other OSS communities sends the
wrong message.

Following Matt's suggestion to take a community vote,  we've put up a
website (www.cloudstackmascot.org) for everyone to see the community
submissions and vote.  To add a little fun, we're going to do it in
subsequent rounds of competition (narrowing down the field, like in many
sporting tournaments) until we have the identity that will represent the
Apache CloudStack project.

As it stands today, there will be three rounds of voting, with the
following dates:

·         Round 1 -- July 2-5

·         Round 2 -- July 6-10

·         Final Round -- July 11-13

Once we have a winner, we will unveil the new Apache CloudStack mascot at
the upcoming OSCON event in Portland the week of July 16th.

I'd love to have everyone go in and vote for their favorite mascot
submission.

www.cloudstackmascot.org

best,

peder