Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/04/08 23:00:18 UTC

cutting beta-9

Hello,

If anyone has any doco type changes they want to make let me know as I'm
about to start the release process. We have a trio of core developers
who can bootstrap and generate sites so we're ready to go for beta-9.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: cutting beta-9

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Could we have a few binary drops to test it out and get back to you with any
bugs that jump out at us?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 07:00, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If anyone has any doco type changes they want to make let me know as I'm
> about to start the release process. We have a trio of core developers
> who can bootstrap and generate sites so we're ready to go for beta-9.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:17, Vincent Massol wrote:
> [...]

You can remove it from CVS, put it where you like and deal with it
however you choose as the author of the plugin.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

Any time estimates on when the new repository will be ready?  I would
like to start maintaining the torque plugin again...

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
Hi Jason and Maven Team!

Filmowy portal INTERIA.PL >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1709

Re: Separating plugins from Maven core (was RE: cutting beta-9)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:19, Vincent Massol wrote:
> [...]

maven-plugins

> 2/ how are the plugins automatically downloaded by persons who downloads
> Maven core? What triggers a plugin download?

For the plugins themselves I was thinking explicit declaration would be
a good thing. So a maven-plugin type. This would work for projects as
well. The only difference being we would need hooks to do something
after the plugin was downloaded i.e. move it into the proper location.

> 3/ what is left in the Maven core? Does all the plugin-builds directory
> goes away?

Eventually I think that would be possible and preferable.

Plugin Compatibility Information (was RE: Separating plugins from Maven core (was RE: cutting beta-9))

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

I agree with all of these. My English is not that good and when I said
"rewrite" I did not mean a full rewrite of the plugin; simply some
modifications :-)

In any case, I think this is a good solution (which will still break
some existing plugins which will need to be upgraded but that's ok).

This leads me to another question... :-) In the past, we were bundling
all the plugins in the maven release. Thus there were no need for a
maven user to verify if a given plugin was compatible with his version
of Maven. This won't be the case anymore.

Thus, I believe we need to add some information somewhere (XML file,
POM, etc) so that plugins can advertise what are their Maven
compatibilities. The plugin manager would also display this information
to the user.

So, question: where do we put this compatibility information?

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 09:23, Vincent Massol wrote:

> > Break all existing plugins? I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
> Michal's
> > proposal includes a indicator which tells maven if a particular type
> of
> > artifact is included in classpath creation. Do you have a specific
> > plugin in mind you were thinking about?
>
> By "break", I mean they need to be rewritten. Here is one example from
> the eclipse plugin:
>
>         <j:forEach var="lib" items="${pom.artifacts}">
>           <j:set var="eclipseDependency"
>
> value="${lib.dependency.getProperty('eclipse.dependency')}"/>
>           <j:choose>
>             <j:when test="${eclipseDependency == 'true'}">
>               <classpathentry kind="src"
> path="/${lib.dependency.artifactId}"/>
>             </j:when>
>             <j:otherwise>
>               <classpathentry kind="var"
> path="MAVEN_REPO${lib.urlPath}"/>
>             </j:otherwise>
>           </j:choose>
>         </j:forEach>
>

> This means that the plugin jars will be included in the generated
> eclipse .classpath file.

I think Michal's proposal will certainly require some tweaks but I don't
think I would call it a rewrite i.e. in the above you would either need
to retrieve a list of artifacts that contribute to the classpath or do
an additional check on the type of dependency it is.

The dependency type has always been available and it certainly wouldn't
hurt to use that indicator in the code above. Then any other
dependencies won't get included as there have been other dependency
types for quite some time so you're not really protected against
inclusion of those either.

So the proposal would also allow for you to grab a set of source jar
artifacts which I believe would also be a benefit for eclipse. Yes, a
few changes will need to be made but I think the clean separation of
dependency/artifact types is well worth it. But again, the type has
always been available for use.

> [snip]
>
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Separating plugins from Maven core (was RE: cutting beta-9)

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 02:55, Vincent Massol wrote:

+1

> * It is very hard for a Maven user to know the complete list of plugins
> available, their versions and what is contained in each version. I
> believe we will also need a Plugin Manager feature (same spirit as what
> exist in JEdit for example) that would automatically browse the
> repository for this information. It would be nice if the changes.xml
> file was automatically used to gather information about what's new in a
> given version of a plugin + extract the <description> from the plugin
> POM.

+1

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Separating plugins from Maven core (was RE: cutting beta-9)

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.
> Here are some more thoughts on this subject:
>
> * Adding <dependency> elements for the plugins will break all
> existing plugins iterating over the list of dependencies. Do
> we rewrite all the plugins? Do we need to tag the plugin
> dependencies with <properties> too?
>
> * As it will a major pain to list all the plugins used for
> every project, I think a nice solution would be to have a
> plugin dependency list in Maven core which gets added
> automatically to each project.xml. Thus this would allow the
> user to override the default plugin list (and
> versions) while not breaking existing project.xml.
>
> * It is very hard for a Maven user to know the complete list
> of plugins available, their versions and what is contained in
> each version. I believe we will also need a Plugin Manager
> feature (same spirit as what exist in JEdit for example) that
> would automatically browse the repository for this
> information. It would be nice if the changes.xml file was
> automatically used to gather information about what's new in
> a given version of a plugin + extract the <description> from
> the plugin POM.
>
> Thoughts?

There are now atleast two places for plugins to be found.  One will be
from Maven's site or the repository.  The other is sourceforge.  They
will propbabley be others to follow as Maven gets even more popular.

I would suggest that a plugin registry be created.  This could exist in
the form of an XML file on the maven site.  Maven clients could download
that XML file and easily parse it.  This would allow people writing
plugins which are distributed though personal web sites or any other
means to still be located.

The XML file can be used to generate a nicely formatted list for the web
site as well.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 18:03, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Can you please read my emails and try to answer to my questions? I've
> kept repeating that I have 2 questions but I've seen no answer:

I sent a message but it's not here yet it seems. I answered both of your
questions but here goes again.

> 1/ Is there any recommended location where to put the plugins in
> cvs.apache.org/maven?

cvs.apache.org/maven-plugins

> 2/ How do persons who download Maven b9 are going to easily use these
> plugins that have been separated?

Explicit dependency declarations so they will come down like other
artifacts, and we we need some post hooks associated with particular
types of artifacts. An extension of Michal's plan that handled these
post hooks would certainly handle the movement of plugins to the
appropriate directory.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Separating plugins from Maven core (was RE: cutting beta-9)

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:23, Vincent Massol wrote:
> I think we should leave a few days for persons who want to cleanly
> release their plugins before cutting the release. We should probably
> call a feature freeze and leave some time for releasing all plugins.
>
> What do you think?

I do not want to couple the release of plugins to Maven itself.

> If you leave me a few hours I can cleanly release the Cactus plugin and
> the Jboss one I've just added today.
>
> What do other think?

Why don't you put them somewhere you can maintain them at your own pace.
You can be the first to start the separation.

For now if you want a couple hours go ahead. After this release we can
start removing the plugins from the core because it needs to be done.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

RE: cutting beta-9

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.