Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org> on 2013/06/28 00:24:17 UTC

feature proposals after java user group meeting

Hi,

The Bucharest Java User Group meeting no. 13 finished a few hours ago and
the attendants seemed quite curious about Apache DeviceMap - my slides can
be viewed at [1]. Although the talk was supposed to last around 30 minutes
we reached to one hour due to quite a few thoughtful questions.

Among the features that the community expected to be provided by DeviceMap
were the following:

   - tighter integration between the server-side module and the client-side
   one - by this they were referring to some coherence between the device
   groups from BrowserMap and a similar concept in the DDR code so that they
   could have 1:1 OOTB mappings between the two detection modules' results
   - simpler API for performing a detection query using the ODDRService (no
   PropertyValue, PropertyRef and co) or the like; I already told them about
   Reza's efforts for the Java module and people were excited; they also
   seemed to agree on the fact that the flexibility provided by the
   ODDRService of accepting file system paths or input streams for
   initialising the repo is a cool feature given the multiple ways of storing
   data these days
   - the ability to plug some custom code for detection fallback into the
   server-side code - similar to the probing mechanism provided by BrowserMap
   - frequent updates to the datasource files
   - a service built on top of BrowserMap and the server-side detection
   modules to gather data in order to improve the server-side detection
   accuracy

Out of all the last point seems like a cool little project by itself. I've
also advertised the fact that we're still looking for committers so maybe
some of them will join our project.

WDYT about these proposed features?

Thanks,
Radu

[1] - http://radu.cotescu.com/talks/2013.06.27_BJUG13/

Re: feature proposals after java user group meeting

Posted by Reza Naghibi <re...@yahoo.com>.
Well, my question was more along the lines of what are some of the user cases of knowing the phone features in a browser?

---
Sent from a Blackberry 9900

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Reza,