Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2015/09/29 20:16:48 UTC

Next release?

When would be a good time for our next release?

Here are some dates:
* We aim to release "every month or so".
* 1.4 was released on 9/2 [1].
* It takes about 2 weeks to release, so if we started today, we could
release on about 10/13.
* The Apache board meeting is on 10/14 [2] and if the vote to
establish Calcite passes we would make our first release as a
top-level project as early as 10/21.

Does anyone have any other constraints, e.g. features they would like
to complete?

Jesus, could you take on the release manager role?

Julian

[1] http://calcite.incubator.apache.org/docs/history.html#v1-4-0
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Most excellent. Thanks! As always, I'll try to be responsive on anything
that needs to be changed to not hold up 1.5.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.
OK, master is closed. Thanks everybody for the last push to the release!

We will start the vote in a few.

Thanks,
Jesús

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jinfeng Ni <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Maryann Xue <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Julian.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Welcome back, Jesus.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Julian.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
938 and PR 160 are now both in.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Maryann Xue <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Great. I've listed your assignments (and everyone else's) below.

Assignments:
* Josh: 921, 913, 871, 903
* Sean: 922
* Jinfeng: 911
* Me: 816, 890 (review), 926 (review), 849 (review)
* Jesus: 931 (review)

I think I've assigned fixVersion = 1.5.0 for all important issues.

If there are any other bugs with patches available please let me know
and I'll make sure we at least review before 1.5.

Julian

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I’ve just checked in PR 144.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, https://github.com/apache/incubator-calcite/pull/144 should be good
to go now. It includes Bruno's 912 (with the minor nits you found,

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hrmm, before I forget, let's give some more thought to the generated
code. I'll think about this (search around for some tools) and spin off
a different thread to figure out how to ease that.

I don't think any of my open PRs are inherently dependent on each other
(I always re-branched from master when starting a new issue). I would
hope that the .proto files merge cleanly and the Java just needs to be
regenerated.

If you want to treat GH as the review tool, I can just make a big PR
with multiple properly-named commits and relieve the merge-pain (like
you suggested on CALCITE-645).

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
And 913 too.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Unless we really need a release before graduation, I would suggest just
waiting until after. Afterwards, it takes four days: 3 for the vote, one to
propagate to mirrors. Historically, my experience has been that the
incubator general vote is painful.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.
I have just pushed a new SNAPSHOT based on git commit f5f83e5df2ada64bfc211952f2f273619d94d3ae.

I created HIVE-12186 to track the upgrade to 1.5 in Hive. Waiting for QA results; I will update the thread shortly.

Thanks,
Jesús

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.
Sure, let's proceed that way then, and release after graduation.

As Julian suggested, I've pushed a 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT to the Apache Snapshot Repo. Please try out this branch and report back whether you see any showstopping regressions.

You can test it by adding the following maven snapshot repository to your pom.xml:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/

The version of the artifacts to reference is 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT. The artifacts are currently based on git commit 126a5e3c7317be0b0fb94568c6b6c5434fbf9e2c.

Thanks,
Jesús

Re: Next release?

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.