Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/20 23:25:55 UTC

log4j2 site design

Hi Ralph & co,

Since you mentioned you had site design issues, I tried applying the
log4php template I created to log4j2 site. Seems to work pretty well.

Check out this quick demo, especially the cool vertically fixed sidebar :D
http://bezdomni.net/log4j2/

If you're interested, I could adapt the template and change the source
files to use bootstrap features. It would require some work but is
doable.

One potential problem I see is that this design does not have a logo
on the top of the page. Don't know how attached you are to having the
logo there.

Regards,
Ivan

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 21 September 2012 21:50, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> The only thing I would suggest is, like is done with the API, add the "chapter" to the beginning of each section, although I'm not really sure why I like that since it is obvious what chapter you are in from the sidebar.

What do you think about using breadcrumbs instead? Something like this:
http://bezdomni.net/log4j2/manual/configuration/configuration-syntax.html

I have also split appender page into one page per appender, with breadcrumbs:
http://bezdomni.net/log4j2/manual/appenders/flume.html

Still working on ideas for the header...

Ivan

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
No. I have no idea who created it.  I edited the jpeg in Photoshop Elements yesterday to add the TM to it.

Ralph

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: performance comparison

Posted by ceki <ce...@qos.ch>.
On 22.09.2012 15:48, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> Thank, Ceki.  I obviously take your concerns very seriously and will look into these asap.
>
> Maybe we can push the used configuration/code for the perfomance test to github?
> That way it is more easy to follow which version has been used and
> which settings.

The relevant files can be found under:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/log4j2/trunk/core/src/test/

The resources/logback-perf.xml file should be modified to read:

<configuration>
  <appender name="TestLogfile" class="ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender">
    <file>target/testlogback.log</file>
    <encoder>
      <pattern>%d{ISO8601} %5p [%t] %c{0} %X{transactionId} - %m%n</pattern>
     <!-- this quadruples logging throughput -->
     <immediateFlush>false</immediateFlush>
    </encoder>
  </appender>

  <root level="debug">
    <appender-ref ref="TestLogfile" />
  </root>
</configuration>

HTH,

--
Ceki

Re: performance comparison

Posted by ceki <ce...@qos.ch>.
On 22.09.2012 17:29, Ralph Goers wrote:

 > Well, Ceiki's statement about Logback not walking a hierarchy is
 > partially correct and partially incorrect.  In Logback each Logger has
 > an "effectiveLevel" that is either set or inherited from its parent so
 > the logger hierarchy isn't "walked" for level filtering.  However, if
 > a Logger has not been configured it will have no appenders and will
 > have its additivity will default to true.  callAppenders will perform
 > the for loop to call all the appenders (there won't be any) and then
 > because addictive is true it will delegate to its parent's
 > callAppenders method, which will do the same. Thus if you have a
 > hierarchy of 5 or 6 levels with only a root logger configured you will
 > "walk the hierarchy".  However, since the hierarchy is mentioned in a
 > section on "deciding" (i.e. - filtering) Ceki is absolutely correct
 > that this should be changed.  FWIW, Log4j 2 also has the equivalent of
 > the effectiveLevel on each Logger.

Thank you for the quick and detailed response. Indeed, the append loop
goes through the list of attached appenders. However, as you point out
that happens after the decision to log has been taken. This decision
is made extremely quickly and involves no "hierarchy walk".

I understand that log4j2 configuration is atomic. this might indeed be
an improvement upon logback. However, the devil might be in the
details.

 > The next issue is with regard to immediateFlush. Prior to Logback
 > 1.0.3 the immediateFlush parameter was not available in Logback as an
 > option on LayoutWrappingEncoder, which is long after I wrote the text
 > on the performance of writing log events.  However, since the option
 > is now available I have changed the test and rerun it. Note that the
 > point of that section is not to highlight the differences between the
 > frameworks but to point out that actually doing logging is
 > considerably more costly than calling the logging framework and having
 > the events filtered.

Makes sense.

 > The results from rerunning the test are (I have a much faster MacBook
 > than when I first wrote the doc):
 >
 > Log4j: 1427
 > Logback: 1401
 > Log4j 2.0: 1963
 >
 > Interestingly, I made a mistake the first time I tried it and
 > configured it as
 >
 > <encoder immediateFlush="false">
 >
 > and didn't get an error and still got the slower results.

Joran is very much element oriented. It will ignore XML attributes it
does not know about. It will complain about unknown elements though.

Again, thank you for the quick response.

--
Ceki

Re: performance comparison

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: performance comparison

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: performance comparison

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

performance comparison

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
Reload the pages in your browser. They should all say meta1 now. They do for me.

Ralph

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Tushar Kapila <tg...@gmail.com>.

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 21 September 2012 21:21, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see, it is always good to have a web dev in team.
> Personally I like this very much.

I'm not a web dev. Please. I'm just marginally more perceptive than
the average developer when it comes to web design. :)

> PS: as you may have noticed, I am not Ralph :-)

Yes, I might have. :)

Ivan

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: log4j2 site design

Re: log4j2 site design

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 21 September 2012 21:00, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe it's time to try git-svn.
>
> Its fine with git-svn... if you need a starter:
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging/UsingGitWithLogging
>
> Cheers!

Thanks, just what I needed. :)

Ivan