Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Michael Malgeri <mm...@us.ibm.com> on 2005/10/26 01:44:34 UTC

Load Balancing in Geronimo

I'm working with a University that wants to implement an application on
Geronimo that supports 10,000 concurrent users.

There are a number of use cases but here's one that captures the primary
issue

Will this scenario work in the absence of clustering:

1. Load balancer in front of many linux servers each running Geronimo
2. Each instance or Geronimo connected to the same database server
3. Application only composed of JSPs, Servlets and Javabeans (no EJBs)
4. Users will be accessing shared data such as registering for a class

In this case, if the following is true:

1. Load balancer handles session stickiness
2. Database server handles transactional access to shared data
3. Users can live without session failover

Will this work?
What are the unforeseen problems?
What are the unforeseen restrictions?

May thanks for any and all feedback.

Michael Malgeri
Mgr Gluecode Client Technical Services
CELLULAR: 310-704-6403

Re: Load Balancing in Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Oct 25, 2005, at 4:44 PM, Michael Malgeri wrote:

> I'm working with a University that wants to implement an
> application on Geronimo that supports 10,000 concurrent users.
>
> There are a number of use cases but here's one that captures the
> primary issue
>
> Will this scenario work in the absence of clustering:
>
> 1. Load balancer in front of many linux servers each running Geronimo
> 2. Each instance or Geronimo connected to the same database server
> 3. Application only composed of JSPs, Servlets and Javabeans (no EJBs)
> 4. Users will be accessing shared data such as registering for a class
>
> In this case, if the following is true:
>
> 1. Load balancer handles session stickiness
> 2. Database server handles transactional access to shared data
> 3. Users can live without session failover
>
> Will this work?
> What are the unforeseen problems?
> What are the unforeseen restrictions?

It should work.  If they are only using the one database connection,
I'd suggest that they use a one-phase (normal non-two-phase) JDBC
connection.  JDBC drivers tend to be more reliable in one-phase mode.

-dain