Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/06 13:57:52 UTC

[POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/dist

AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones

of course, staging for the purpose of release verification would
continue to happen under people.apache.org

- robert

[ ] use standard repositories
[ ] relocate repositories under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator

Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/07, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [X] use standard repositories

I would say that podlings using maven would be required to set their
project's group id to org.apache.incubator.<podling>, and possibly
even extend an incubator parent pom.

This way the podling distributables are nicely contained inside the
incubator space inside the maven repository.

There would not be a requirement to name the java packages to
org.apache.incubator.<podling> (as that would require renaming of all
projects that are using the code, which is unnecessary IMO).

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!

Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 Noel. Synapse used to have org.apache.synapse.* as the package, but
synapse-incubating-core-0.xx.jar as the JAR file.

I'm +1 for using the ordinary repository.

Paul

On 5/8/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > I agree there is no reason to force org.apache.incubating.wicket. to be
> > renamed after graduation to org.apache.wicket.
>
> Agreed, but why is anyone even raising the issue?  We don't require incubator to be part of the Java package name, just in distribution file system artifacts.
>
>         --- Noel

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/7/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Xavier Hanin wrote:
> > On 5/6/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is already a concern for existing projects coming from outside
> >> Apache. It is completely and easily possible to become dependent on
> >> both org.apache.wicket/wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta1.jar and
> >> wicket/wicket-1.2.6.jar
> > I agree, but why add one more possible confusion for your users, and
> > one more possible case for this kind of conflict? I think using only a
> > tag in the version (as you have done for your 1.3 beta 1 version) is
> > enough and less confusing.
>
> I disagree in part, incubating needs to preceed a version number because
> it's in descending significance (subversion .0 is less significant that
> version-major 1).  So either incubating-wicket-1.3.0-beta1 or else use
> wicket-incubating-1.3.0-beta - the later is more readable to me.
I agree with your logic, but putting the 'incubating' as a version
suffix makes the use easier from a dependency management tool: you can
depend on version 1.3+ for instance, and get an automatic transition
at graduation (if we assume the project graduates before the final 1.3
release, which is what I hope for wicket :-)).

Xavier

> I agree there is no reason to force org.apache.incubating.wicket. to be
> renamed after graduation to org.apache.wicket.  I can't envision where
> another project will 'adopt' the o.a.wicket. space if it failed to
> graduate, and that they wouldn't be watching the providence of o.a.wicket
> if they choose to.  I think it's a disservice to our podling's community
> of early adopters/testers/documentors/coders.
>
> Bill
>

> .

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/

RE: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
[ X ] use standard repositories

On 5/6/07, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 06 May 2007 07:57, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > [ X ] use standard repositories
> > [ ] relocate repositories under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator
>
> I disagree with setting the groupId to org.apache.incubator.<podling>.
> I greatly prefer requiring a version string that includes either
> incubator or incubating.    (ex: 2.0-incubator,  1.3-incubating, etc..)
>
> Putting it in the group ID causes a MUCH larger set of headaches for both
> the project itself as well as all dependent projects upon graduation.
> You can also end up with two jars on the classpath with the same code in
> it, just different versions.
+1

Xavier

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Noel,

Correct, using a URI does not require a specific implementation; but in
today's environment, if someone needs a different repo format, they get one
of two responses: 1) create your own repo that uses a different repo format;
or 2) use the same repo format but transform the artifact names. Thus,
the repos - as they exists within the community - are, for all effective
purposes, implementation specific: none of them can be used for custom
formats. Thus the API is adequate, but the implementation may prove
problematic in the long run. I decided to go with option 2; but the point is
that this issue will keep coming up as developers add new languages and
require new formats.

Regards,
Shane

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Although HTTP GET with a URL may qualify as an API, under its
> > current form its really implementation (file-system) specific.
>
> What makes it implementation specific?  You can't store the files in a DB,
> and map the URI to the resource?  Isn't it really a URI, specifying the
> package name and version?

well, a bit more than that but it is definitely an URI

resolving URI->URL allows the artifact to be retrieved

- robert

Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 15 May 07, at 9:57 AM 15 May 07, Shane Isbell wrote:

> Just to clarify, the implementation is now as follows: NMaven uses the
> default repo format remotely and then transforms locally; this is
> the most
> pragmatic approach, and I don't have any immediate concerns. The
> problem,
> however, is that we are exposing the internal schema to the client;
> this
> creates a fair amount of confusion as people look for a general
> schema that
> satisfies the various languages, as opposed to a general API, say
> through
> REST or SOAP. Although HTTP GET with a URL may qualify as an API,

I don't think it does. If you're referring to how an actual artifact
is retrieve then it should only be via a set of parameters like
artifactId, groupId, version, type (optional classifier) and the
provider should deal with fetching the said artifact and giving it
back to the client. Using an URL as the only way to retrieve an
artifact is problematic.

So specify the set of parameters you can get an artifact from a Gem
repository, CPAN, a Maven repository, or anything else provided you
delegated to appropriate provider to deal with repository specifics.

The call for a artifact for assemblies or JARs would look the same
once you have a reference to the provider. So you would have
something like Maven Artifact eventually I would imagine.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify, the implementation is now as follows: NMaven uses the
default repo format remotely and then transforms locally; this is the most
pragmatic approach, and I don't have any immediate concerns. The problem,
however, is that we are exposing the internal schema to the client; this
creates a fair amount of confusion as people look for a general schema that
satisfies the various languages, as opposed to a general API, say through
REST or SOAP. Although HTTP GET with a URL may qualify as an API, under its

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 May 07, at 8:56 PM 6 May 07, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Shane,
>
> Honestly, it sounds like the NMaven stuff will need a complete new
> set of
> repositories for NMaven artifacts.   There isn't any way, IMO, that
> the
> repo layout can change for the normal maven 1 and maven 2
> repositories.

There is already a full proposal by Dan Fabulich of BEA who works
extensively with .Net and we've already beaten that horse to death.
It's not changing. The assemblies can have their constituents renamed
while packaging or they can use a different repository. A system that
cannot use version numbers in artifacts is defective IMO, but we'll
figure something out. But the chances of changing the existing
structure are pretty close to zero. I haven't seen any compelling
arguments.

Shane, you've looked at Dan Fabulich's document. I assume Brett must
have pointed you to it at this point.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Shane,

> [...]

> Getting more into some more specifics, with NMaven, there is no
> version information contained within the artifact file name and the
> version must follow a standard 0.0.0.0 format. This precludes the use
> of "incubator" within the version itself. As mentioned above, at this
> early stage, it's also not 100% clear on exactly how NMaven .NET
> artifacts will reside within the repo. For instance, there is an open
> question as to where pom files will reside when we add the concept of
> classifiers to the repo. Also, given the repository layout structure
> for NET artifacts may change over time, as the incubator project
> evolves, I have concerns whether any of the standard maven repos would
> accept - and with good reason - an NMaven incubator release at all. I
> would expect that an incubator release repo would be more amendable to

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 May 07, at 11:11 AM 6 May 07, Shane Isbell wrote:

> [ ] use standard repositories
> [ x ] relocate repositories under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator
>
> My reasons are as follows: First, NMaven does not follow the
> standard repo
> layout; second, the repository layout structure is still in a state
> of flux,
> meaning that there is a need for potentially changing the layout
> for .NET
> artifacts, while still doing releases.

Not sure where you're getting the idea the layout may change. We've
already had this discussion with .Net folks and the standard
directory structure for the remote repositories is not changing. The
problem is with the .Net linker and can be worked around with
plugins. At least for the Java side of things the version in the JAR
is never coming off the file name.

If you're referring to something specific proposed for NMaven and a
different repository that's one thing, but the structure as it is
used currently is not in flux. Not sure where you picked up that notion.

At any rate the .Net artifacts can go somewhere else until we figure
it out and doesn't affect everyone else trying to deploy.

We can make a separate repo until the problems are sorted out with .Net.

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
[ ] use standard repositories

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 6 May 07, at 4:57 AM 6 May 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/
> > dist
> >
> > AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
> > under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones
> >
> > of course, staging for the purpose of release verification would
> > continue to happen under people.apache.org
> >

> Wasn't there a vote about this not too long ago?

dunno - anyone have an url?

> Was that vote not definitive?

in the incubator, if the vote doesn't include a patch for policy then
it tends to get forgotten

- robert

RE: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jason,

Would you please address Shane's issues?

	--- Noel

Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 May 07, at 4:57 AM 6 May 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/
> dist
>
> AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
> under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones
>
> of course, staging for the purpose of release verification would
> continue to happen under people.apache.org

Wasn't there a vote about this not too long ago? Was that vote not
definitive?

Jason.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On May 6, 2007, at 1:57 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/
> dist
>
> AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
> under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones

I don't understand the question, but I think the answer can be deduced
from this:

   Any [1] artifact that is released by The Apache Software
Foundation MUST
   have http://www.apache.org/dist/ as its primary download location
and it
   MUST follow all the central infrastructure guidelines (eg, mirroring,
   signing) that exist for that location.

Similarly

   Any artifact that does NOT come from http://www.apache.org/dist/
is NOT
   an official release by The Apache Software Foundation, though it
may be
   a redistribution of such a release, which users are encouraged to
verify
   using PGP signature files and/or SHA1 digest files retrieved from
   http://www.apache.org/dist/. The ASF welcomes and appreciates
   redistribution of its existing artifacts.

I think the above essentially captures what came out of the 500-mail-
or-so
discussion and vote that we had recently.

IOW it is all fine and dandy if files go all across the globe (or apache
servers) as long as they're redistributed from /dist/ somehow. My
favorite
change was when the ibiblio maven repo was set up to auto-sync from /
dist/
(no idea if it still works that way).

That loads of users find it quite alright to ignore checksums and
signature
sanity and just get things out of badly policied repositories (note: I'm
not saying the maven repos are badly policied, I think there's a lot
of due
dilligence going on there, but that wasn't always the case), is well,
not
part of our own policies.

cheers,

- Leo

[1] this is a recent change from how incubator has done this for a few
     years, where we made an exception to this rule for artifacts
from the

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

On May 6, 2007, at 4:57 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/
> dist
>
> AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
> under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones

When you talk about "repositories" it makes me very nervous. Maven
does not do a good job with multiple repositories. [If you have a
single SNAPSHOT dependency, maven searches through every repository
looking for each SNAPSHOT at least once per day and if the repository
is not extremely responsive, you end up wasting a lot of time.]

So if we choose for special incubator repositories, I'd have to vote
in favor of a single incubator repository not multiple repositories.

But having read all of the other responses as of right now, I don't
see any issues with using the standard maven repository for
publishing incubating project release artifacts. The releases are
official incubating artifacts that have been through release
clearance and as long as they are correctly identified with "-
incubating" in their [version id, artifact id, or group id], IMHO no
one will be confused about the status of the artifact.

And whether to put "-incubating" into the group id, artifact id, or
version id, I'd leave that decision up to the project. My own
preference is in the version id, but I can see reasons for projects
preferring the "-incubating" flag in any of the maven name locations.

Craig

> of course, staging for the purpose of release verification would
> continue to happen under people.apache.org
>
> - robert
>
> [ ] use standard repositories
> [ ] relocate repositories under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator

Craig Russell