Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Jeremy Custenborder <jc...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/07 08:26:19 UTC

.Net library preferences

Hello all,

I'm working away at the .Net version of Avro and would like the
opinion of anyone that is listening. I'm trying to do the port using a
.Net 2.0 feature spec to make mono support a bit easier. .Net 2.0 does
not have a native json parser so I've been using JayRock
(http://jayrock.berlios.de/) which has a LGPLv3 license.

My questions are:

1.) Excuse my ignorance but is LGPLv3 compatible with an apache license?
2.) Is JayRock a preferred library for json parsing?
3.) Does anyone have issues if I bring in Apache Log4net
(http://logging.apache.org/log4net/) ?

I have an abstracted logger that I use that allows anyone who compiles
from source to disable logging using compiler directives so they would
not have to use log4net. For public releases my personal preference
would be to build against the latest stable version of log4net.  What
do you guys think?

If you are interested in what I have done so far you can look at my
repo on github. I'm pushing there pretty frequently now that I've
finished my move to Austin.

http://github.com/jcustenborder/avro/tree/dotnet-port

Re: .Net library preferences

Posted by Jeremy Custenborder <jc...@gmail.com>.
Haha so if you want to hear an amusing mistake. I was using jrock on
another project and didn't double check my references on this project.
The apis are similar so I didn't notice that I was actually using the
right project. The code I've written so far is actually using json.net
so no refactor is needed. :) This means that the patch I put in jira
is valid.

Re: .Net library preferences

Posted by Jeremy Custenborder <jc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jeff,