Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2005/01/27 14:42:41 UTC

Documentation system status + call for help!

First, find at http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonDocumentationSystemSUMMARY
the current status of our discussion about the new documentation system[1].
I've included many of the good ideas and adjusted the two Forrest repositories.

The two repositories can be found at
- http(s)://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/doc-repos/

David was so kind to install Forrestbot on brutus. The built docs are deployed
periodically and can be reached at

- http://brutus.apache.org/docs/build/cocoon-doco-2-2/ and
- http://brutus.apache.org/docs/build/cocoon-doco-global/

In the next few days, Upayavira and I will work on the navigation structure of
both repositories so that we get a starting point for the main work, the
document transfer. Of course this structure is *not* the final word on this.

Upayavira and I agreed to work on user docs for 2._2_. To make it widely useable
for people who want to use 2.1, we propose to add notes if there are changes to 2.1.

                                    - o -

Everybody who is interested in (much) better docs is invited to join us! Also if
you have very little time, you can help! Find a list of all available docs at
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/22NewDocuments.

Pick any of the documents, add your name and review it. Many documents only need
minor modifications and the work is done very fast!

And, writing docs is *very* easy as you can use tools like Mozilla Composer.
Belive me, a really new feeling compared to XML-editors :-) :-)

Don't worry about the HTML4-format. Forrest handles them perfectly, as you can
see at http://brutus.apache.org/docs/build/cocoon-doco-2-2/getting-started.html.
And when the online-editor based on HTMLArea becomes available, the HTML docs
will be converted to a XHTML-subset that is supported by the HTMLCleaningConvertor.

Find a "how-to" at
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonDocumentationSystemHowTo that describes in
some words more than this mail, how you can participate in this documentation
effort.

                                    - o -

Additionally to (re)writing the docs, I will work on the online application.
Find a more detailed roadmap at the wiki page. If *you* can spend some time, I
would need help to figure out what's the best strategy to access SVN (WebDAV,
JavaSVN) which also means writing a prototyp.

                                    - o -

Thanks again for all your contributions so far and I hope many of you join
Upayavira, David and me in increasing the quality of our docs (and the
documentation system). I will also write mails to our users list, lenya and
forrest next week.

--
Reinhard

[1] Please add further comments at
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonDocumentationSystem in the same way as
you've done it yet. If *we* agree on chaning the proposal, I will add it to the
summary document.

Re: Documentation system status + call for help!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 7 févr. 05, à 20:57, Jeremy Quinn a écrit :

> ...With many thanks to both Gianugo and Giacomo for holding my hand
> through this, there is a new wiki entry at :
>
> 	http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ReadWriteToSVN..

Wow, this gets the Way Cool Award here!

-Bertrand, longing for a 37-hour day to test this

Re: Documentation system status + call for help!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> Sorry, I am still not sure I made that clear ;)
> On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:20, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> i.e. we had to backgrade the slide libs from a release version to a
>> milestone version to make this work. So I don't know what the solution
>> is right now.
>>

> We had to backgrade from a release version to an earlier milestone of
> that same release.
>
> I hope that is clear now ;)

hmmm, is the slide project aware of this issue?

--
Stefano.

Re: Documentation system status + call for help!

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I am still not sure I made that clear ;)
On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:20, Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> i.e. we had to backgrade the slide libs from a release version to a
> milestone version to make this work. So I don't know what the solution
> is right now.

We had to backgrade from a release version to an earlier milestone of
that same release.

I hope that is clear now ;)

regards Jeremy

                                 IT IS NOT FROM ME

                         Always check the label, folks !!!!!

Re: Documentation system status + call for help!

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
On 8 Feb 2005, at 16:50, Andrew Savory wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8 Feb 2005, at 16:46, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Also, should be update the slide webdav lib in the distro as well?
>
> There's no released version of the updated lib, only milestone release

i.e. we had to backgrade the slide libs from a release version to a
milestone version to make this work. So I don't know what the solution
is right now.

It would however be very worthwhile adding the webdavs:// pseudo
protocol to cocoon.xconf as a standard source.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On 8 Feb 2005, at 16:46, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Also, should be update the slide webdav lib in the distro as well?

There's no released version of the updated lib, only milestone release

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: Documentation system status + call for help!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>

>> On 27 Jan 2005, at 13:42, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>

>>> Additionally to (re)writing the docs, I will work on the online
>>> application. Find a more detailed roadmap at the wiki page. If *you*
>>> can spend some time, I would need help to figure out what's the best
>>> strategy to access SVN (WebDAV, JavaSVN) which also means writing a
>>> prototyp.
>>

>> With many thanks to both Gianugo and Giacomo for holding my hand
>> through this, there is a new wiki entry at :
>>
>>     http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ReadWriteToSVN
>>
>> It will hopefully give you enough information to both read and write
>> to an SVN repository (protected by a self-signed SSL cert) directly
>> from Cocoon using a pseudo protocol.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>

> Yes it does! This is really good news! Thank you guys!

Now, it would be helpful to have a few samples in the distro about this,
hint, hint ;-)

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                                  http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Documentation system status + call for help!

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.