Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vikas Khengare <Vi...@symantec.com> on 2006/01/11 05:44:04 UTC

How to track database changes at run time to update index in Lucene ?

Hi Friend.......

           I have two questions for you................

        I am doing indexing using Lucene. I am taking data from database
But for updation in index there is problem. How can I come to know that
a row or a single data cell is get changed from row ? How can I index
only that data cell ?

1] How to track database changes in web application from front end
processing at runtime ?
2] Can get information that database is changed...... Some events from
that I will come to know that database is changed

Explanation :

         I am showing some information to user from database tables in
my web application. While showing suppose any user change any database
table may be that table whose data I am not displaying / displaying. Can
I get that information at front end side to change my contents of web
page.

        Can get information that database is changed...... Some events
from that I will come to know that database is changed............

        Can I use AJAX for that ?

       I hope I will get solution from experts like you.

Thanks.

From
vikas r. Khengare
[ vikas_khengare@yahoo.com <BL...@yahoo.com>  ]

Re: How to track database changes at run time to update index in Lucene ?

Posted by Dick de Jong <dd...@gmail.com>.
For changes in the database, you can:
- use the server side business object that also does the update of the BO in
the database, and which currently does also the indexing in lucene
- use the front-end (browser I presume if I see AJAX, which is nothing more
than XmlHttp), but would not be my preference ... (use servlet or bean or
... instead)
- use the database if it supports database triggers

But an update in the database will mean an delete and insert in Lucene, as
far as I know.
Remaining things (like push changed backend data to client) has nothing to
do with Lucene.

Kind regards,

Dick