Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org> on 2002/11/27 19:55:40 UTC

Xindice 1.1

Hi guys,

before jumping to 2.0 (very exiting...) could we first wrap up the 1.1
release?  There are still several things to do, like:

- finding out how to make a release
- fixing the bugs
- verifying the examples

I know it's less fancy than the 2.0 but if we don't do it, the 1.1 will
get lost.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
Apache Xindice - http://xml.apache.org/xindice

Re: Xindice 1.1 (XMLObjects)

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
At 10:05 PM 12/3/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim Wissner wrote:
>>Yes, very true.  As another data point, I've found another project to use
>>Xindice on, this time as a single-user "embedded" XML store.  I just
>>create a Database instance and make calls right to that.  Works
>>positively beautifully.  I think it's important to make this point.  A
>>couple weeks back someone mentioned that they couldn't imagine Xindice
>>being used on the client side, or that using it as anything other than a
>>web service didn't make sense.  Can't remember the exact quote. But I can
>>tell you that's incorrect - in fact it works very, very well on the
>>client side.
>
>Sound cool. But I'm not getting why you want to use a Database on an
>embedded system which mimicks a filesystem. Is there any performance gain
>against plain filesystem and XPath queries or is it just a matter of
>"comfort" since everything is already made?

Several reasons.  First, simplicity.  I can make queries for a specific set
of nodes across a set of documents, without having to implement that
functionality myself.  It's very convenient.  Second, the automatic
compression/decompression of XML.  Next, everything is all in one
conceptual place, the db root, and is less likely to be messed with by
users outside the context of the app, than if there are just a bunch or raw
XML files laying around.

Basically, yes, could be done with filesystem alone. But xindice just
abstracts away a few very nice features so I don't need to do it
myself.  Then when things such as access control are there, I've got that too.

Jim

--
jim@jbrix.org

Visit www.jbrix.org for:
   + SpeedJAVA jEdit Code Completion Plugin
   + Xybrix XML Application Framework
   + other great Open Source Software

Re: Xindice 1.1 (XMLObjects)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

RE: Xindice 1.1 (XMLObjects)

Posted by Stefan Lischke <li...@novacom.net>.
Hi,

> I would go so far as to say, keeping the web services modular would allow
> the Xindice "core" to be kept very lean, for embedded applications, and
> then on the server side you can plug in the "service module" of choice:
> xml-rpc, soap, etc.  Whatever suits your needs.  That would make this one
> seriously flexible XML system.

Really Good Point,
I'm working on a project, where i need a flexible XML System in J2ME (Java 2
MicroEdition for MobilePhones and PDA's). If Xindice will be so flexible i
could port just the "core" without xml-rpc, soap .......

By the way is someone working on a J2ME Xindice Port? I would be interested!

I know the MIDP-Profile is not very good, but yesterday MIDP2.0 was released
and everyone is waiting for the PDA Profile

mfg stefan

RE: Xindice 1.1 (XMLObjects)

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
[...]

FWIW.

Jim

Re: Xindice 1.1

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Kurt Ward wrote:
> They provide a method of creating something similar to stored procedures, a
> handsome
> addition to any DB server ;-)  They could also be the foundation for
> triggers and other
> server side additions to Xindice.
>
> I have been using Xindice 1.0 in production for a company since 4/4/02 as a
> single-user automated storage facility that makes use of XMLObjects to move
> documents from one collection to another for archiving as well as a few
> other functions.  Not much code, fast, and very handy!
>
> As for how many people are using them, I have no idea.  There was some
> discussion of them on the users list some time back.  At one point there was
> a bug that would not allow them to execute.  Not sure if this was fixed in
> 1.0 or not, but I could take a look.

OK, given all the messages on the topic, I'm sold on XMLObjects. :-) Now
all we need is someone able to dig into the code and understand the
implications in porting them from Xindice 1.0. If you could take a look
it would be great: ATM I'm quite busy in catching up after a whole year
of almost total silence (still impressed every day for the work that has
been done, even if I still feel a bit lost...).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

RE: Xindice 1.1 (XMLObjects)

Posted by Stefan Lischke <li...@novacom.net>.
Hi,

Re: Xindice 1.1

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Xindice 1.1

RE: Xindice 1.1

Posted by Matt Liotta <ml...@r337.com>.
> Now that's hard. :-) Anyone with outstanding bugs out there?

We have several bugs right now with Xindice 1.0. We are in the process
of updating to the CVS version and will let the list know what bugs
remain unresolved. We also hope to fix some of them ourselves, so we may
just be sending patches. Time will tell...

-Matt

Re: Xindice 1.1

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:

> before jumping to 2.0 (very exiting...) could we first wrap up the 1.1
> release?

Definitely, you're right.

>  There are still several things to do, like:
>
> - finding out how to make a release

I can take care of that if it's OK to you all. I need to get some
documents back from my archive, but I kinda remember the steps that were
needed.

> - fixing the bugs

Now that's hard. :-) Anyone with outstanding bugs out there?

> I know it's less fancy than the 2.0 but if we don't do it, the 1.1 will
> get lost.

Absolutely so.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

XNode API online

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
I've posted the XNode API docs at

   http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/ceryle/doc/api/

in particular are org.apache.xnode.* (the API) and
org.ceryle.xnode.* (my implementation of it). Vladimir has
suggested that I move the tree from org.apache.xnode.* to
org.apache.xindicex.xnode.*. Other suggestions have included
adding the ability to add metadata at the Collection level.

Comments welcome.

Thanks!

Murray

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

            If you're the first person in a new territory,
            you're likely to get shot at.
                                                     -- ma