Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Garey Smiley <ga...@main.slink.com> on 1995/12/16 18:12:54 UTC

Include sample doc tree?

        I would like to request a vote on adding a sample document
structure to the Apache distribution. With the following basic
structure.

\index.html (we would expect that the user would delete or change it)
        - Basic welcome to and thank you for using Apache.
        - Link to local Apache documentation (\apachedocs\).
        - Comment that most current info can be found
          at http://www.apache.org.
        - Link to postscript and TEX versions of documentation
          at http://www.apache.org.
        - Request that \apachedocs\ be left in document tree as
          a problem determination aid.
\apachedocs\ (mirror of http://www.apache.org/docs/ at time of
release)
        - Add an include to every page that loads a file saying that
the
          most current documentation can be found at
http://www.apache.org.
        - By adding the include the only difference between
          http://www.apache.org and the distribution mirror is the
presence
          of the include file in the documentation mirror.
\apacheimages\ (mirror of http://www.apache.org/images/)

Expand html documenatation to include working examples of most if not
all
features of Apache. This way we can redirect basic questions to known
working examples already installed in their copy of Apache. My hope is
that this would also reduce or elimiate (I can dream :) most user
questions. It would also be a nice problem determination aid that we
can
pullup the documentation examples from their system and say "it worked
from the documenatation examples on your system" or "have changed
something from the defaults" etc.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com