Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Scott Sanders <ss...@octane.com> on 2000/05/03 19:58:25 UTC

FW: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Krüger [mailto:krueger@signal7.de]
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 1:02 AM
To: orion-Interest; ejboss@list.working-dogs.com
Subject: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

might be of interest to some of you

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/linuxjdk
(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) krueger@signal7.de, www.signal7.de

Re: FW: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Scott Sanders wrote:

> FYI

Does this mean that we shoot for JDK 1.3 now? :-)

(chill off, people, just kidding)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: FW: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mike Pogue wrote:

> I checked on this with the Linux JVM folks at IBM, and here's what I learned:
>
> The standard GA license for the 1.1.8 release from IBM enables a developer to include the
> runtime environment and redistribute it without any termination date.
>
> The Linux 1.3 Preview on Alphaworks *does* have a license that contains the 90 day
> clause.  For a preview, they don't want developers distributing the preview (it has not
> officially passed the JCK), or using it post GA (general availability, basically the
> official Final Version Ship Date).
>
> They tell me that the GA version will be made available before the 90 days runs out.   All
> of IBM's GA licenses, including the Linux 1.1.8 license, do NOT contain any type of 90-day
> clause.
>
> Hope this helps!

It really does!

Mike, tell your JVM folks they're doing a simply amazingly great job to
make Java successful.

The whole Java community thanks IBM very much for this!

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
Yep, that's the idea...

Mike

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Mike Pogue wrote:

> I checked on this with the Linux JVM folks at IBM, and here's what I learned:

So when's the FreeBSD version due?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Re: FW: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.

Re: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> yeah, but the license is only good for 90 days for personal,
> non-commercial end use. fat lot of good that does me, unfortunately.
> AFAIK, that's the same deal as the license for their 1.1.8, which is why I
> haven't been able to use it in production anywhere.
>
> - donald
???  The IBM JDK 1.1.8 doesn't have any such restriction on it. It did when
it was in pre-release which is totally understandable just like their
pre-release of JDK 1.3.
Check the license again - it says right in it:
"This Program Code is a "no charge" program."

Mike

Re: FW: it's there (ibm linux jdk1.3)

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerz.com>.