Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1997/11/18 19:09:16 UTC

Win32 install

available for testing at:

ftp://www.apache.org/httpd/dist/apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_c.exe

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Win32 install

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 09:34:25PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Whoa! That's not in the current version! I missed a critical step in the
> build. I've uploaded a new version to:
>
> ftp://www.apache.org/httpd/dist/apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_d.exe

Do you think it would be possible to include the Apache Feather logo at
some places during the installation process? The first dialog
("Packaged by..")looks like the logo was simply missing from it.

Also, for Windows'95 it would be useful if a A-pache-Startup.pif file
could automatically be created during installation. In the PIF file,
you can put settings for console applications (like: start-iconic, use
specific start directory, use switches for start etc.)

I'll append a GIF of such a setting I used with apache-1.3b2-dev under
Win95. (Sorry, in german, only).

    Martin

Re: Win32 install

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Igor Tatarinov wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > available for testing at:
> >
> > ftp://www.apache.org/httpd/dist/apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_c.exe
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ben.
>
> I was able to use it on my NT Workstation 4.0 but I had some problems.
> I wasn't logged in as administrator (is it required?). As a result,
> it didn't create a program group (it tried to create a global one
> instead of a personal one).
>
> Later I wasn't able to start Apache without specifying -f:
> apache -f "c:\program files\apache\conf\httpd.conf"
>
> At first it seemed to work but then the screen started scrolling:
> fopen: No such file or directory
> httpd: could not open document config file c:/program
> 0: [apache]
> 1: [-c]
> 2: [Apache458_55]
> 3: [-f]
> 4: [c:/program]
> 5: [files/apache/conf/httpd.conf]

Whoa! That's not in the current version! I missed a critical step in the
build. I've uploaded a new version to:

ftp://www.apache.org/httpd/dist/apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_d.exe

> Apparently, it doesn't like the space in the file name. Adding a -s switch
> results in an immediate error message (don't know what -s does)

-s stops it from running as a service (I think this is backwards and may
change it in the next beta).

> Finally, I copied httpd.conf to /tmp and was able to start and use Apache in a
> standalone mode (not as a service) without problems.
>
> Perhaps, if I started installation as adm I would have all these problems.
> Haven't checked it yet, is it really necessary?

It may be that admin is needed - seems kinda reasonable for a webserver,
though. I'll see if I can make a personal group an option.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Win32 install

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ta...@prairie.NoDak.edu>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> available for testing at:
>
> ftp://www.apache.org/httpd/dist/apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_c.exe
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.

I was able to use it on my NT Workstation 4.0 but I had some problems.
I wasn't logged in as administrator (is it required?). As a result,
it didn't create a program group (it tried to create a global one
instead of a personal one).

Later I wasn't able to start Apache without specifying -f:
apache -f "c:\program files\apache\conf\httpd.conf"

At first it seemed to work but then the screen started scrolling:
fopen: No such file or directory
httpd: could not open document config file c:/program
0: [apache]
1: [-c]
2: [Apache458_55]
3: [-f]
4: [c:/program]
5: [files/apache/conf/httpd.conf]

Apparently, it doesn't like the space in the file name. Adding a -s switch
results in an immediate error message (don't know what -s does)

Finally, I copied httpd.conf to /tmp and was able to start and use Apache in a
standalone mode (not as a service) without problems.

Perhaps, if I started installation as adm I would have all these problems.
Haven't checked it yet, is it really necessary?

I also ran ZeusBench (junker is my pc :) index.html is
http://www.apache.org/docs/windows.html

red:~/web$ ./zb junker /index.html -n 1000 -c 1

---
Server:                 Apache/1.3b3-dev
Doucment Length:        11145
Concurency Level:       1
Time taken for tests:   34.089 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Bytes transfered:       11387000
HTML transfered:        11145000
Requests per seconds:   29.33
Transfer rate:          334.04 kb/s

Connnection Times (ms)
           min   avg   max
Connect:     1     3    97
Total:      24    32   149

red:~/web$ ./zb junker /index.html -n 1000 -c 3

---
Server:                 Apache/1.3b3-dev
Doucment Length:        11145
Concurency Level:       3
Time taken for tests:   16.787 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Bytes transfered:       11388460
HTML transfered:        11146218
Requests per seconds:   59.57
Transfer rate:          678.41 kb/s

Connnection Times (ms)
           min   avg   max
Connect:     1     5    53
Total:      31    49   134

Here I looked at the NT task manager monitor and found that only one
apache process (out of 4) was consuming CPU (<40%, hence nw bounded)
Don't know if this is the way it's supposed to work (I mean
one busy process.)

BUT!!!
red:~/web$ ./zb junker /index.html -n 1000 -c 6
Broken Pipe

the same worked fine with the Solaris Apache.

I looked at the error log (btw, can you make it error.log instead of
error_log?). Nothing there.

I guess I should also try the same as adm.

igor

Igor Tatarinov, graduate student, Computer Science Dept, NDSU
e-mail: tatarino@prairie.nodak.edu   or   itat@acm.org
http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~tatarino