Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es> on 2001/04/05 10:02:40 UTC

Re: "Just say no to JSP" Re: [Fwd: Tomcat may reveal scriptsource code by URL trickery]

Hi Brad!

Brad Cox wrote:
> I should point out at the outset that this isn't to assign blame but
> to point out a problem... namely, the complexity that developers must
> deal with to get a working infrastructure in place. My application
> uses Apache, JServ, Java, and the servlet engine from Tomcat. Period.
> No taglibs, no JSP, no XML, nothing. Yet it took a whole week to get
> even this on the air, even though I've been through the tomcat
> configuration process dozens of time by now and had working config
> files to start with.

I'm about to answer in Jon's favorite manner (hope you don't mind, Jon):
Ok, it seems to be a problem. Why don't you fix it?

> Next problem was various JServ failures, none clearly explained by
> the errors, and none explaining what what was wrong and how to
> correct it in the config files. Then most of the week worrying about
> why Tomcat wasn't recognizing my servlet context.

Would adding a 'try{} catch() {}' help solve your problem?

> I've a bunch of ideas for partial solutions but I'll hold off on
> those to see whether there's any agreement that there's a problem
> here.

Then, turn those ideas into patches and send them along. No need for
agreement, just an itch to scratch.

I don't want to play the wise guy here, it's just that (at last) the
meaning of voluntary work has entered my stubborn head. As in those old
jokes about screwing a bulb: when there's 100 users complaining about a
problem, there's 10 people talking about how to correct it, and one that
actually does something. The volunteer is the 1 in 111 that screws the
bulb.

For me, Tomcat has worked perfectly (esp. v3.3), and so I cannot justify
my working on it. But, as a consequence, I don't either complain about
the product -- in fact, it's got my highest praises.

Un saludo,

Alex.

RE: "Just say no to JSP" Re: [Fwd: Tomcat may reveal scriptsource code by URL trickery]

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
I sure had my "little" flames with Jon, but that is a very important
thing I learned from him.

I agree that the problem is there - not enough error info - and I had my
share of such problems, but this is open source, so, you can fix it.

OTOH, some developers can still learn a bit from this kind of feedback
and pay a bit more of attention to providing good debug info.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar