Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com> on 2000/01/19 03:07:23 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_userdir.c

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 01:43:24AM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> The better way to fix it is for Apache to provide an AP_HAVE_PWD_H macro
> depending on what autoconf finds.  This is all part of the autoconf not
> protecting their own macros problem.  This will be fixed in time, but how
> to do it is a real problem.  I am seriously considering doing what we did
> for APR, which is to create another header file for public namespace
> protected macros.

I don't think so.

Apache and its bundled modules all share a single configuration and
all use the same Apache autoconf include files. The only reason for
this is convenience.

Because Apache's bundled modules are developed along with Apache (so
we don't have to worry about namespace collisions), and because they
share the same configuration data, they should include ap_config.h

Modules that do their own configuration (such as PHP) don't need any
help from Apache, so they shouldn't include ap_config.h.

So to summarize: the easiest way to fix mod_userdir, or any other
module with similar problems, is to just include ap_config.h.

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_userdir.c

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> Seriously, we should all (including me) be doing more of what David is
> doing and writing up docs that would be useful to newbie coders.

docs are cool... but what you just wrote could easily be plopped into the
src/docs directory and committed, and it serves as a stop-gap until
someone does write docs...

Dean

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_userdir.c

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 09:38:45PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Can you document this somewhere too? This bit of info will be lost in the
> noise otherwise.

Dude, you have commit access to the repository too. :)

Seriously, we should all (including me) be doing more of what David is
doing and writing up docs that would be useful to newbie coders.

But, it would be far, far easier (and IMO more useful) if we had a
kickass mailing-list search engine.

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_userdir.c

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Can you document this somewhere too? This bit of info will be lost in the
> noise otherwise.

This has been documented in the CVS commit.  I'll document it more in the
file about upgrading modules probably later this week, and when we
actually spend time writing the docs for 2.0, it will get documented there
too.

Ryan

6209 H Shanda Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27609		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_userdir.c

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Can you document this somewhere too? This bit of info will be lost in the
noise otherwise.
Bill Stoddard

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

> This finally dawned on me after I posted the note.  How long have you been
> trying to explain this to me???  Sorry I've been a bit dense the last
> week.  I'm committing this change now.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 01:43:24AM -0500, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > >
> > > The better way to fix it is for Apache to provide an AP_HAVE_PWD_H
macro
> > > depending on what autoconf finds.  This is all part of the autoconf
not
> > > protecting their own macros problem.  This will be fixed in time, but
how
> > > to do it is a real problem.  I am seriously considering doing what we
did
> > > for APR, which is to create another header file for public namespace
> > > protected macros.
> >
> > I don't think so.
> >
> > Apache and its bundled modules all share a single configuration and
> > all use the same Apache autoconf include files. The only reason for
> > this is convenience.
> >
> > Because Apache's bundled modules are developed along with Apache (so
> > we don't have to worry about namespace collisions), and because they
> > share the same configuration data, they should include ap_config.h
> >
> > Modules that do their own configuration (such as PHP) don't need any
> > help from Apache, so they shouldn't include ap_config.h.
> >
> > So to summarize: the easiest way to fix mod_userdir, or any other
> > module with similar problems, is to just include ap_config.h.

___