Posted to user@struts.apache.org by casey kochmer <kk...@hotmail.com> on 2001/04/13 09:52:51 UTC

Introductory Struts Article / Tutorial / Reference page

Hi everyone,

I just wrote up a struts article / tutorial / lesson.

the link is

http://www.jspinsider.com/tutorials/jsp/struts/strutsintro.html

This is introductory level materials, and we will add more advance lessons
later. The article won't go up offically till the weekend
(We are in the final stages of editoral review for grammer and such)
But I wanted to prerelease it so I could get technical feedback from the
struts community before the final version goes up.

Thanks!
Casey Kochmer
Casey@JspInsider.com

Re: Introductory Struts Article / Tutorial / Reference page

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm unsure if you should mention using more than one controller at

< http://www.jspinsider.com/tutorials/jsp/struts/struts.html >

Typically, there is just one ActionServlet (controller), but several
Actions.

The text also seems to imply that Struts provides a model object, which
may confuse people.

Struts provides a simple, and entirely optional, connection pool for
JDBC applications, but does not otherwise address the model. (BYOM -
Bring Your Own Model.)

The diagram also seems to say the Stuts Tag libraries connect with the
model. They connect with JavaBeans that may have been created elsewhere,
and based on model, and may later update the model, but the Struts tags
do not address the model directly. (Though other custom tags, like the
Struts-compatible Taglib JDBC tags, may.)

Something that isn't clear to many people at first is that the
struts-config file is used to create a mappings database, which is the
heart of the controller. The config file is not read directly while
Struts is running -- the mappings are stored in memory. In many ways,
the mappings ~are~ the controller. Once you understand the mappings, you
understand Struts. You might want to list the struts-config file sooner,
next to the web.xml file. As you say, the secret to Struts is the
configuration files, and struts-config is the key configuration file.
(Very little works without it!)

At < http://www.jspinsider.com/tutorials/jsp/struts/gettingstarted.html

there's a formatting glitch at the bottom of the page.

Struts not capitalized in many places throughout, you might want to
sweep each page for struts->Struts.

Thanks for listing my resource page -- much appreciated!