Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Darniz <rn...@edmunds.com> on 2014/04/06 09:45:23 UTC

Rounding date indexing to minute

Hello

can someone please tell me how to make sure in solr to store date only till
minute level, since i am having issues with date range query performance. i
read in forums to reduce date precision so that the queries become faster.

As of now its storing date till seconds.
<date name="liveDate">2014-03-11T07:00:00Z</date>

i am only concerned till minute granularity. Also the i am using
solr.trieDateField
        <fieldType name="liveDateType" class="solr.TrieDateField"
precisionStep="8" sortMissingLast="true" omitNorms="true"/>
               <field name="liveDate" type="liveDateType" indexed="true"
stored="true" />

is there a provision for this
Please let me know

thanks
darniz

Re: Rounding date indexing to minute

Posted by Darniz <rn...@edmunds.com>.
Just to clarify when people mention rounding date till minute they mean to
store seconds as 00

hence there is nothing like storing date in below format, or am i wrong.
<date name="liveDate">2014-03-11T07:00Z</date>

Date are always stored in below format and by rounding people mean to store
seconds as 00 so taht there are fewer terms
<date name="liveDate">YYYY-03-11Thh:mm:ssZ</date>

Re: Rounding date indexing to minute

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
If indeed you do wish to round dates at index time, there is an update
request processor for that that is in my book (look up "round date" in the
index.) it lets you specify a unit of rounding, such as minute, hour, day,
month, year, etc.

It is actually a JavaScript script that uses the Solr stateless script
update processor.

-- Jack Krupansky

Have you tried date math formulas? Don't need to round up what's stored,
just how you query and cache.

Regards,
      Alex

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Is this an "XY" problem? You say:

bq:  "...having issues with date range query performance"

What are you trying to do anyway? Add an "fq" clause?
facet by range? Details matter.

If you're using filter queries in conjunction with NOW, you might
be running into this:

http://searchhub.org/2012/02/23/date-math-now-and-filter-queries/

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.